Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

jrsc exhaust advice?

Do I need to change my exhaust setup, if I do, what's the quietest exhaust I can get?
    My setup is:
    Jrsc, 3.7 pulley, KRRH, oem mid pipe and axle back..
    I don't mind losing 10hp for a quiter setup
    I'm getting the car tuned in less than 3 weeks, any advice would be appreciated

Shouldn't loose any in comparison to the stock catback lol.

Maybe 05-06 rsx-s mid pipe and a ssr axle back? That's a nice mellow set up.
    Or
    Custom 2.5 with a cherry bomb style glasspack res + to a magnaflow oval as another res + oval muffler with a tip like the vibrants/ magnaflows. ( my future set up! )
    Or
    2.5 Vibrant ultra quiet res + stealth muffler.

2.5 is a good size. If you want on the cheap / fast buy an ebay catback for $100. It's 60mm (2.3x)... Just have to add a resonator. Ask how I know lol

i dont mind paying extra money for a quiet setup.. I had the vibrant before and it was too loud for me... i love the way my car sounds now, i dont really want to change it but im not sure if its going to restrict me to a specific amount of power. My whole setup is K20a3 with BC stg2 cams, Jrsc, 3.7 pulley, KRRH, oem mid pipe and axle back, and Injen CAI. Do I really need to change the exhaust?
    Last edited by Hasbro; 05-10-2009 at 08:42 PM.

I guess you don't NEED to change it. But it's your limiting factor for sure. I bet you could squeeze 10-15 or more w/ a tune.
    Last edited by Ba82Ep3; 05-10-2009 at 08:41 PM.

The oem mid pipe is a joke on our cars. The stock exhuast is going to restrict power through out the entire power ban. k20s thrive on flow. Alteast do a 2.5 mid pipe with ultra quite resinator and a quality axle back.

The thing to remember about JRSC and exhaust is the main purpose of the exhaust is to make it as easy for the blower to do its job of pushing air into the engine as possible. The unfortunate side effect of this is going to be noise. There are various ways to limit the noise, but for the most part more power means more noise.

Find one that makes sound you can live with and run with it. If you aren't concerned with maximizing your power that should do well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Moments View Post
    The thing to remember about JRSC and exhaust is the main purpose of the exhaust is to make it as easy for the blower to do its job of pushing air into the engine as possible. The unfortunate side effect of this is going to be noise. There are various ways to limit the noise, but for the most part more power means more noise.

Find one that makes sound you can live with and run with it. If you aren't concerned with maximizing your power that should do well enough.
    heard dat! lol

The most popular midpipe for our cars as an easy upgrade in terms of costs and installation is the Megan Racing midpipe. It's about 2 1/4" diameter (I believe, might be 2 1/2") and bolts directly up to the stock exhaust.

The nice thing about this midpipe is that you can keep your OEM axleback without any modifications other than adding a gasket.
    Last edited by Ba82Ep3; 05-10-2009 at 09:10 PM.

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    Vibrant sleeper series with vibrant resonator

Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    The most popular midpipe for our cars as an easy upgrade in terms of costs and installation is the Megan Racing midpipe. It's about 2 1/4" diameter (I believe, might be 2 1/2") and bolts directly up to the stock exhaust.

The nice thing about this midpipe is that you can keep your OEM axleback without any modifications other than adding a gasket.
    Is it any better than the type s oem mid pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
    Vibrant sleeper series with vibrant resonator
    I had that setup before... its so loud for me, I couldn't hear my thoughts... at one point I thought I was on a Harley instead of a civic.... ok thats a lie, but it was still loud

Oem type s is like 1.9 for 02-04 and 2.1 for 05-06 with a bigger resonator... So I would say the Megan probably flows better.

Flow and sound pretty much go hand and hand...

The Megan racing pipe, in my opinion, is going to give you the best trade off in terms of flow and performance.

Concurrent with what everyone else is saying, you have to give something up before you gain something.

It's totally possible to get a quiet flowing setup, but are you willing to spend the $1000+ on a setup that's perfectly tuned for drowning out exhaust drone and keep high flow (Ferrari and other expensive makes come to mind as they are designed with this in mind)? These are questions you need to ask yourself when thinking about things like this.

is it a good idea to have megan mid pipe with stock axle back? according to my research our stock axle back flows up to 300hp

Look into ws2/nior exhaust... May be what your looking for

Quote Originally Posted by tlikethedrink View Post
    Look into ws2/nior exhaust... May be what your looking for
    I have to agree with this I have the noir and love it. Quiet when your just cruising but when ya open it up you can hear it. I just have a intake and race header and my a3 made 163whp and 138ftlbs with a good tune.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information