Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Use a larger set of channel lock pliers to grip around the hose and twist carefully. Use a small flat head screwdriver to gently lift up the edges of the hose to break that surface tension.

LOL yeah, pretty much exactly what I wound up doing.
    FYI, you can probably ignore 90% of my "shit I'm stuck!" posts when I'm actually working on something...they're generally just me taking a break to let things sit for a minute, and I pretty much always walk back out to the garage and go "OH, derp! That's easy!"

Random note, the IACV was held on with normal Phillips hardware, no funky 5-point drives. Extra bit, though, is the star drives. Gonna go cut me some hardware in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaterEP View Post
    Random note, the IACV was held on with normal Phillips hardware, no funky 5-point drives. Extra bit, though, is the star drives. Gonna go cut me some hardware in a minute.
    Yeah, the whole assembly can be taken off (say to just replace the gasket) via those phillips screws but if you wanna actually take off the actuator(?) ...the black thing... to clean the actual valve in the grey housing, you need to slot them 5-pointers.

Yeah I gotcha...guess I'd always just read it wrong, like there were 5-pointers just to remove the whole assembly.
    At any rate, everything's apart and after an initial scrubbing, soaking while I get some lunch.
    Daaaaamn that thing is dirty! No wonder my idle's been sloppy! Feel bad for having neglected this thing so long!

No harm in cleaning out the throttle body itself is there? Also not as clean as it probably should be...

Quote Originally Posted by BeaterEP View Post
    No harm in cleaning out the throttle body itself is there? Also not as clean as it probably should be...
    Absolutely no harm in having cleaner parts! =P
    If you're taking off the throttle body to clean it, be careful not to mangle the gasket. Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the little o-ring between the actuator and IACV.

OK, last legitimate question of the day, I'm pretty sure;
    how in the hell did you guys get that TB gasket material off? That stuff does not want to come off LOL!

razor blade. you can use any number of fluids to loosten up that shit, personally i like to coat things in PBblaster just cause it's penetrating power. let it soak on the surface for a hot minute and scrape away. really any flat edge would work, screw driver, ruler, knife, etc.

yuh, wound up getting it with a razor and friggin goo-gone! :D
    That rubber gasket for the IACV need a drop of oil, or just a dry seal?

I used a tiny amount of oil. It means a vacuum leak if that gasket cracks so I figured a little lubrication wouldn't hurt!

That's about what I figured. Time to put it all back together.

UPDATE:
    Well, get her all back together, no leaks I can discern, and idle seems a bit more stable.
    Another learning experience under the belt.

Am I the only one who thinks this should be a sticky since it's such a common problem?

Does anyone happen to know the specs on the screws? Mine we rusted/corroded in their slots so the dremel just took the heads of and about a can of WD-40 and channel locks and vise grips later they came out. Is calling the dealer the best way to know for sure?

They are a 5mm screw I believe, not sure of the pitch, the best thing to do is take the TB into an AutoParts store and get the correct size, not neccesary to even talk to a stealership!

Quote Originally Posted by 02ES1 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks this should be a sticky since it's such a common problem?
    It is stickied, and has been for a long time now.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Dear Talon,

I <3 you.....That is all.

My car had a weird idle today when I was leaving work almost felt like it was going to turn off, From what I have been reading it could be fixed by cleaning the IAC, could you do me a favor if you still have them but re-post the images photo bucket says image has been moved or deleted. Thanks

Bump for the thread!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information