Close

Pinoy84

JDM Headlight paint

I havea question about the type of spray paint used in the headlight housing. If I plan to do the blacked out headlight project as noted in the "Projects" section they say to used flat black spray paint. I went to the store to buy some and noticed they have hi-temp black paint that would be ideal for headers. Headlight housing does get hot so would this hi-temp paint be more favorable then just regular paint. Ok, regular spray paint may be fine for stock bulbs but what if I did a real HID conversion for 500 dollars or so, I would assume these get extremely hot so would this paint be fine?

this.setRootCause(last);
    I painted mine with all-purpose flat black spray. Name brand, but nothing special. It's holding up fine, looks exactly the same as the day that I painted them. I've got stock bulbs.

I seem to remember some warnings about hi-temp paint. I'd do some searching on the site and see what you come up with.

If you're careful, and do a good job, your headlights will look awesome. Just don't paint over all the silver. If you paint too much of the housing, it will look weird.

I just got done doing this too - and the hardest part is resealing it - I left the stock sealant w/ the new shit....and it was a pain in the ass to get the lens tightly set back onto the light housing....ohwell, its worth it - it definantly helps the car....

ephatch member
    Originally posted by Dunrick
    I just got done doing this too - and the hardest part is resealing it - I left the stock sealant w/ the new shit....and it was a pain in the ass to get the lens tightly set back onto the light housing....ohwell, its worth it - it definantly helps the car....
    can u post some pics? i'd like to see

Post pics of me resealing it? or the final verdict? Mine look a lot darker than anybody else, I used ultra flat black paint - they look nice - helps the headlights a lot!

ephatch member

Cool

the final verdict please

Mos def - I'll try to get some pics asap

SpeedRacer used ultra flat black on his and they look like charcoal, very rough and dark. I used some random black for patio furniture:D and they're semi-gloss, not as dark but still nice

Thread Information