Close

Thread: Cut wires.

Question Cut wires.

Hello everyone,

I just bought an EP3 a few days ago and while fixing an SRS light under the dash, I noticed that quite a lot of wires were cut and just left hanging or swapped with other ones. These are the wires that were cut and just left hanging : Red/White, Yellow, Brown and Orange. Two were swapped : Brown now connects to White/Purple and White taps into White/Purple.

The car had quite a lot of previous owners, I tried asking the guy who sold it to me but he had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by acheddadi View Post
    Hello everyone,

I just bought an EP3 a few days ago and while fixing an SRS light under the dash, I noticed that quite a lot of wires were cut and just left hanging or swapped with other ones. These are the wires that were cut and just left hanging : Red/White, Yellow, Brown and Orange. Two were swapped : Brown now connects to White/Purple and White taps into White/Purple.

The car had quite a lot of previous owners, I tried asking the guy who sold it to me but he had no idea.
    Any pics? i wonder if any of that goes to either the alarm or the srs airbag stuff itself.

My guess would be that those wire were from an old aftermarket alarm.
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

Pics would be a big help sounds like it could have been someone who took out an alarm and re connected some wires together. Are they thicker gauge or smaller wires, also where exactly under the dash are these wires?

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty_Mouse_Ep View Post
    Pics would be a big help sounds like it could have been someone who took out an alarm and re connected some wires together. Are they thicker gauge or smaller wires, also where exactly under the dash are these wires?
    I'll make sure and take a picture tomorrow! They're all pretty thin wires, located close to the fuse box near the hood release lever. Also, if it's any help, a bunch of lights don't seem to work on the center console.

EDIT: Also, the stock alarm system doesn't seem to work.

Quote Originally Posted by acheddadi View Post
    I'll make sure and take a picture tomorrow! They're all pretty thin wires, located close to the fuse box near the hood release lever. Also, if it's any help, a bunch of lights don't seem to work on the center console.

EDIT: Also, the stock alarm system doesn't seem to work.
    Are lights out in the cluster as well?

The EP only comes with keyless entry from the factory. The security system that uses the keyless remotes was available from the dealership.
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Quote Originally Posted by usedep3 View Post
    Are lights out in the cluster as well?

The EP only comes with keyless entry from the factory. The security system that uses the keyless remotes was available from the dealership.
    Nope, all of the lights on the cluster work fine. These are the lights that don't work : cruise control switch, ventilation knob, air circulation switch and a/c switch. Also, I just found another cut wire (blue) under the left headlight. I'm surprised that the car is still working fine with so many cut wires just hanging out in the open like that.

Well on the ep there is a green factory alarm plug that is left loose if there is no factory alarm on the car. Aftermarket alarms use a bunch of the wires off that harness. Sounds like whoever had that car before you may have pulled out an aftermarket alarm. The one wire under the hood you might find loose is maybe a aftermarket hoodpin. The nonworking lights on the center console are no big deal just some of the bulbs not working or burned out.

Well on the ep there is a green factory alarm plug that is left loose if there is no factory alarm on the car. Aftermarket alarms use a bunch of the wires off that harness. Sounds like whoever had that car before you may have pulled out an aftermarket alarm. The one wire under the hood you might find loose is maybe a aftermarket hoodpin. The nonworking lights on the center console are no big deal just some of the bulbs not working or burned out.
    This. Also, that extra wire on the driver's side by the battery/headlight could be the connection for the oem fog kit. I think its a blue wire with a brown clip.
    Green Crew #7

Interesting! That would explain why there are no apparent problems with the car.

Thread Information