Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Guy! Hopefully a soon to be owner!

Hey guys! These forums are pretty cool. I'm in the market to get a EP3! I think I found a really good
    deal and need your opinions.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...64790752&Log=0

Basically 85k miles for 5,991 with a clean car fax

Seems like a good deal but the dealer says it has a dent on a quarter panel. I asked him for pictures and this is what he sent me of the interior / engine / dent

IMG_1942.jpg

For some reason it wont let me upload the other pictures but this is the picture of the dent.

What should I do in this situation? It's from a Honda dealership and they have their own bodyshop so I'm assuming they will fix it but the price will likely go up.

Thanks in advance! I'll see if I can post more pics

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...46699411&Log=0

Heres another one that I was looking at. Cosmetically it's in a lot better condition but it seems to have some after market stuff on it. I guess it really doesn't matter because I would want exhaust anyways. I need to get the car fax from the dealer on this one...

Welcome to EPhatch. You will find enthusiastic owners here who are willing to help!

My friend Jamie just sold his 2002 for $6300 and it was 90k miles and in absolutely mint condition and had never been damaged.

You didnt mention what year it is.

I would go and check it out, if the door closes mostly normal and the dealer handles all the body work AND comes in under $6500 I would say your good. otherwise I would keep shopping.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Humphries View Post
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...46699411&Log=0

Heres another one that I was looking at. Cosmetically it's in a lot better condition but it seems to have some after market stuff on it. I guess it really doesn't matter because I would want exhaust anyways. I need to get the car fax from the dealer on this one...
    That one is a no go, the Recaro seats are missing and it looks like replaced with base model civic ones. No bueno.

Thank you for the reply! Didn't even notice the seats!

What about this one ?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...12&CMP=usedInv

Kind of a long drive for me but it looks very clean. 120k miles isn't that bad I guess. I suppose it all depends on the person driving it..

Thank you in advance..

What about this one ?

Kind of a long drive for me but it looks very clean. 120k miles isn't that bad I guess. I suppose it all depends on the person driving it..

Thank you in advance..
    Great find, decent mileage but that price is very "MEH" at best. Get them down closer to 5k and you're golden.

It's a good stock car (you want this). If you are not familiar with modding or modded cars I highly recommend staying away from them, just get it out of your head now.

Stick to buying as close to stock as possible to save yourself the headaches.

Hmm. So it looks good to you? I'll need to ask them about the CarFax.

It looks pretty clean from what I'm looking at. Are these cars pretty reliable? I know its probably a stupid question seeing how its a Honda but just wondering. I figured if I didn't beat the crap out of it should last a while. I plan on doing some modifications but just the usual stuff like exhaust and a new intake.

This is my first time financing a car... do I have any leverage when it comes to talking them down in price since I am financing?

What sort of stuff should I look for when driving it? I suppose just make sure the clutch isnt slipping and listen to sounds..

Thank you in advance!!

Hmm. So it looks good to you? I'll need to ask them about the CarFax.

It looks pretty clean from what I'm looking at. Are these cars pretty reliable? I know its probably a stupid question seeing how its a Honda but just wondering. I figured if I didn't beat the crap out of it should last a while. I plan on doing some modifications but just the usual stuff like exhaust and a new intake.

This is my first time financing a car... do I have any leverage when it comes to talking them down in price since I am financing?

What sort of stuff should I look for when driving it? I suppose just make sure the clutch isnt slipping and listen to sounds..

Thank you in advance!!
    The older models (02-03) had a camshaft galling issue if 5W-20 non-full synthetic was used. It wouldn't lube the cam guides well enough and you would end up with metal filings in the crankcase.

Check door lock actuators, make sure you get the valet (grey) key and spare key.

The financing part depends if you are bringing your own financing to the dealer (pre-approved) or you are using the in-house financing from the dealer (not recommended).

I suggest going to a reputable credit union unless you are with one already and get a secured loan with them.

What about this one ?

Thank you in advance..
    That one looks nice. It has all the mud flaps, and the stock wheels, menaing it has mostly been unmolested it looks like. SSM (satin silver metallic) is one of the best colors for longevity, it holds up really well, and I am in Arizona.

6k isnt bad but closer to 5k would be better.

These cars are incredibly reliable. But keep in mind it is a 10 year old car and it is going to need things fixed just out of sheer age. None of the stuff that goes bad is abnormal for any car though, and most the things that go bad are inexpensive, and last longer than they well should anyway!.

on the cam galling issue, I put over 70k miles on an engine with galled cams, you will never notice the difference and it doesnt actually really damage anything in most cases, just use good oil.

The Valet key and things like the floor mats, are a huge plus and makes it more worth the price, so if it doesn't have either, talk them down.

check the Carfax, check for SRS lights or any indicators on the dash, take some hard turns during test drive and drive it over a bumpy area and listen for clunking or noises.

It looks like you're from the southwest and you're looking for a stock ep3. If you're ok with higher mileage, this one was recently posted:

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?74321
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

Screw mileage!!

I have over 300k, its meaningless.

You guys rock!! Think I'm going to go with the one in VA. Going to give him $500 to hold the car for me until I get my tax return and loan goes through. Can't believe I didn't think of this before but I'm going to go through USAA for a loan. Right now waiting on the dealer to send me a CarFax report.

I'll keep you guys posted! The dealer said the only after market stuff on it is an intake and a muffler. I would have done these things anyway so it's not a big deal. Hopefully the previous owner didn't drive the crap out of it and the clutch is in good condition. My friend is going to go with me who is a certified mechanic so he should be able to see any red flags if there are any.

Also once I get a loan how low should I try to haggle him? The KBB value is like $5400... what should I offer him? He wants $5991 for a clean 03 EP3 with 120k

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...12&CMP=usedInv is the link

I would get him closer to 5500, but that one looks decent.

I'd put $4500 cash in front of him and see what happens. Worst thing he could say no.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information