Close

Is it possible for a k24a2 ep3 to get 30mpg hway

Sup guys , as y'all know I just got my ep3 recently and one of my upcoming projects is a k24a2 swap. Was wondering if theres a specific build to get 30mpg hway still get the 200hp and 160 tq

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I believe it was talonXracer who had a K24 variant and he consistently averaged 36 mpg and was rather heavy on the pedal. I don't remember his final gear ratio but he did a lot of highway driving at 70 mph. He was an asset to this forum and is missed. Fyi, I averaged 37.5 mpg with the K20A3 when it was stock and now average about 31.5. I someday want to get around 40 mpg with a n.a. K24 frank and a high 6th gear with a 4.9 final drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
    I believe it was talonXracer who had a K24 variant and he consistently averaged 36 mpg and was rather heavy on the pedal. I don't remember his final gear ratio but he did a lot of highway driving at 70 mph. He was an asset to this forum and is missed. Fyi, I averaged 37.5 mpg with the K20A3 when it was stock and now average about 31.5. I someday want to get around 40 mpg with a n.a. K24 frank and a high 6th gear with a 4.9 final drive.
    when u said variant, did u mean a frank? dayumn how did he get that mpg? how did u get that mpg? So what do u think is the best tranny to go with k24a2? I guess im trying to find out the right build for NA k24a2. will definitely use it as a DD.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip05 View Post
    when u said variant, did u mean a frank? dayumn how did he get that mpg? how did u get that mpg? So what do u think is the best tranny to go with k24a2? I guess im trying to find out the right build for NA k24a2. will definitely use it as a DD.
    By variant I just meant he had one of the bazillion varieties of K24s. A smaller motor doesn't always equate to better mpg. My mpg isn't a big deal, there are lots of guys that get good mileage. I'm not usually heavy off of a dead start , drive very smoothly, and reserve pedal to the floor for the corners. The biggest reason for my drop in mileage is due to fatter tires and using them, lol.

There are some very good engine builders on here and a few other forums that will really help you build a great K24/tranny.

Yes. Next to driving habits... tuning is everything. Sticking with an RBB IM and an OEM airbox can get ya 40 mpg easily if you stay off the hi cam. A k24 would be beneficial here because you will be less likely to use the hi cam to make power and get around town. TQ is everything...

So a stock k24a2 and k20a3 tranny will do it??

Tune tune tune... and yes. : )

I have a k24a2 with a ep3 tranny (1-5) and tsx 6th. Even with the 4.7 FD, I see around 30-32 mpg on long highway trips. Being that the original intention of K series engines/trannies were to get ~30mpg, I agree with Ba82.. It'll come down to the tune and driving habits.
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

Usedep3 what's your ave speed in the hway?

Quote Originally Posted by Flip05 View Post
    Usedep3 what's your ave speed in the hway?

I do not get 30 mpg anymore. I was able to achieve ~30+mpg on the 24hr long drives to TX. My regular driving habits does not get me 30 mpg. I was just saying that it's possible.
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

How often do you guys get your ep tuned?

I use a scangauge II and get into the low thirties in mpg. I get between 370 to 400 miles per tank. I do top off my tank though. Good luck in saving fuel.

Registered User Her-Name's-Ally's Avatar
    get the tsx 6th gear and putt around should get you some good mileage.

accord 5th gear is taller than tsx 6th. could break 30's all day with that on the highway.

@AKEP Do u think FD of accord is enough to work with a3?

Thread Information