Close

Turbo A3? Or wait for k24a1?

Okay guys, I want to boost my EP. Right now it has an A3 in it with 143k. My goal for hp is 300 on the k24 eventually, but I'd like to get familiar with turbo and how everything works before I swap the engine. My goal with the A3 would be mild, like 250hp and never take it above 8psi. I know the A3 has weak rods, and unfortunately I hydrolocked it, but it was able to be dried out with no bent rods or anything. Since this is a mild build I was thinking the EMUSA kit would be good. Would I be shooting myself in the foot to turbo the A3 for a bit, before I get a k24?

You can always transfer turbo parts later to the K24.

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    No. . My buddy makes 327whp on his a3 on a custom kit. And it's a dd with 158k miles. It's the tuner and proper maintenance not the engine. There's a3 making over 400whp. I would go more than 250 if i was you. At least shoot for 280

I have the EMUSA kit on my A3 and pulls real nice. I beat an STi on a wet day coming up the mountain. I am only pushing 9 psi with a conservative tune, and it's a lot of fun! Oh and I'm at 97,000 Miles

I have EMUSA kit, 9PSI on my A3. Been about 6 months now, no problem at all.

go turbo for sure... i love my SC a3 but a little more pep would be awesome. 275hp plus would be pretty fun i would imagine. like mentioned above, the kit would swap right over to a k24 later. theres stock longblock k24a4s pushing 400-500 hp!

I think I may try to squeeze as much life out of the A3 as possible. What tends to be the weak point when theyre turbo'd? Id like to get 200k out of it if possible

Theyre weak point is lack of maintenance, a poor tune, or an owner that doesnt realize the limitations of design.

K series need their software modified, to match the hardware modification. One supports the other equally.

While there are better K series engines than the k20a3... try not to think of it as every other uninformed internet user does as they pass on 'word of type'... or internet rumor. Think of the k20a3 as a solid base to start, and the other engines as a better place to end.

Buy modifications now that can be usable on your ending engine of choice (or at least modifications that can be inexpensively upgraded), and realize each have a limitation... and respect it. Be happy with it. Because unless youre rich and can throw away money, K series mods take expertise time AND money to be done RIGHT.

Yeah I realize it is all in the tune. I plan on getting it tuned by Matt Shue, Inline pro, or Rameybuilt. Im new to turbo, what kind of routine maintenance is needed? And if my A3 is running fine now i shouldn't have to worry about the rods going out from boost right? Its my DD, but I envision myself on the side of the road going "well fuck time to pull a new engine out of my ass or put more in this weak motor"

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    Ba82ep is right on everything he said. Take care of the car and it will take care of u. There isn't much routine maintenance. The big one is always make sure you have a proper oil level. Run a quality synthetic and u should be good to go. I've ran Joe gibbs oil for the past 7 years or so on my a3 and my a1. It barely burns any oil. It's def my oil of choice. If problems do arise take care of em immediately. Don't put anything off. Make sure who tunes it has a good reputation with kpro. As ur dd though I wouldn't turbo it. That's just me. U should always have a 2nd car even if it's a pos u bought for 500 bucks. Ur gona be pushing ur car passed what it was meant for. I've broken tranny , snapped axles. If u depend on ur car then pick up a lil junker to take u around.

Thread Information