Close

JDM Facelift CTR Headlights - Spa Treatment

I've had some good luck with baking and cleaning up a couple sets of genuine CTR (pre-facelift) headlights. One I did a project retrofit on, the other just to clean up and do a repair on the leveling motors.

Got the chance recently to clean up genuine *facelift* CTR headlights for Thomas C. Genuine CTR headlights have a smoked chrome trim on them, and have projectors. USDM have regular chrome, and no projectors. His headlights originally had water leaking into them, so at some point he opened them to clean out moisture/condensation. Which left some bad streaks on the inside. Then upon sealing he used silicone. Which isn't recommended.

So this post is not really a DIY, but more of a chronicle of the experience in case you want to clean up your own.

Here are the pics of the "before" condition of the headlights:

You can see there quite a bit of silicone:

So Thomas sent those headlights to me, I tried to give them the "spa treatment." My goals were to clean out as much silicone as possible, open each up, clean out the streaks on the inside of the clear lens, buff the outer lenses, reseal them with butyl glue (which is what TheRetrofitSource sells and is really great).

He sent them over in 2 big boxes. I used rubbing compound on the outer lenses first to get a feel for how much of the streaking and defects were on the inside of the lens. I later found that a foam buffing pad is much better than the one in this pic.

Probably the most time consuming thing was removing the silicone. That stuff sticks to the plastic and there are no chemicals that can easily remove it... so it was basically fingernail and pull, fingernail and pull. In this pic some of the silicone has been removed, and you can see the scratches and streaks on the inside of the lens.

Baking the first light! I used two settings:
    to open: 220 degrees for 20 minutes
    to seal: 270 degrees for 8 minutes
    And I placed them on glass coasters. If you put the plastic housings on a metal baking sheet, the plastic will melt!

Opened up:

Chrome trim separated from clear lens:

I spent about 4 hours buffing the first lens. The inside had some kind of "burned in" streaks that wouldn't come out. It was maddening. And the coatings on the outside and inside were coming off as well, which gives sort of a sunburned effect (like when your skin is peeling). I did a bit of wet sanding but wasn't happy with the results.

Then I saw a local on Craig's List selling a nearly new set of OEM facelift headlights in great shape, for very cheap. I drove over and bought them. The clear lenses are identical to the JDM ones.

JDM on top, USDM on bottom:

The only difference on the lens is that the USDM has this DOT stamp at the bottom:

Same spot on the JDM lens:

I buffed the new "donor" USDM lens, which had a bit of hazing on the inside b/c the PO ran HIDs in them (a no-no). Then applied Meguiars Plast-X to inside and outside to seal. Then was ready for the new butyl glue, which comes in a roll that looks like a giant roll of licorice:

Here the new buyl glue has been added over the oem light gray glue:

Minor repairs to cracks (used 3M weather sealant which is a surprisingly good plastic glue):

Then I moved on to the 2nd headlight, which was oddly dusty inside:

New glue added, ready for new donor lens:

Final results!

god im super jealous lol really loving the results and plan to do the same thing tmr. I just have no idea how to buff them to make them look good again :/ how did you use the plast-x? i got some but they came in a headlight kit... LET ME KNOW how you did it xD mine have a bad haze on them and imma clean them inside and out

oh and hows the condition of your old lenses? im pretty interested if your willing to sell them xD

Quote Originally Posted by Ubeyo View Post
    god im super jealous lol really loving the results and plan to do the same thing tmr. I just have no idea how to buff them to make them look good again :/ how did you use the plast-x? i got some but they came in a headlight kit... LET ME KNOW how you did it xD mine have a bad haze on them and imma clean them inside and out

oh and hows the condition of your old lenses? im pretty interested if your willing to sell them xD
    Hi there -- thanks man.

Buffing. I would recommend using a corded drill and 3" foam buffing pads. I bought a set from Harbor Freight that work well. The kit included a drill attachment, 2 foam pads and 1 fleece pad. Here is the link:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-mi...kit-69335.html

Then I used 3M rubbing compound on the yellow foam pad to remove light scratches.

After that, I used Plasti-X on a microfiber towel to seal the plastic finish.

Sorry but the old lenses won't be for sale, I'm selling them with the USDM set soon. They aren't in very good condition anyway. If your set is just hazy you will be better off cleaning them up on your own and will be happier with the results!

Good luck!
    Last edited by powdbyrice; 05-18-2009 at 01:40 PM.

Dang mine are all jacked up

Nice work! Those headlights look brand new now.

Quote Originally Posted by ragebomb View Post
    I buffed the new "donor" USDM lens, which had a bit of hazing on the inside b/c the PO ran HIDs in them (a no-no).
    Just curious, are you saying the hazing on the inside of the lens was caused by using HIDs? Is it the additional heat?

Quote Originally Posted by drjd888 View Post
    Nice work! Those headlights look brand new now.

Just curious, are you saying the hazing on the inside of the lens was caused by using HIDs? Is it the additional heat?
    Yes the previous owner said his hazing came from running HID bulbs inside of reflectors that were never meant for HID. I'm not surprised that the heat caused issues inside the lens.

Hi there, do you still do retrofit jobs? I would love to improve my visibility at night since i have problems seeing in the dark, i have usdm facelift headlamps

Thread Information