Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    Sent you a text.

So, would that be a good suggestion if OP wants to stay with OEM parts? Not sure if he has decided to use aftermarket forged options. I'm personally biased to OEM Honda parts because they do so well considering what we put them through and only feel the need to use forged options if it really calls for it or it's a balls-out build.
    I'm going to stick with OEM...just got the whole block disassembled...i went onto an Acura parts online store...i'm looking for BBBB pistons...i'm just not sure which to order...the oversized one? Or the regular...can anyone tell me in laymans terms what i need to tell the shop to do...sorry for again being a build noob...i agree with your assessment of stock slugs...I've been trying to find RRC slugs and autofair said they are no longer sold...is HMOTORSONLINE still legit? Thanks so much for the help...also damn...i caved in and bought a vtec a2 head...so i guess i'm going to sell the k24a1 head...but damn it was such a good setup...keep the help coming...it's highly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    Yeah the a3 crank and rods have to go together. a3 rod journals are smaller than a2 rod journals... so rods and crank have to stay in the family. As far as OEM slugs go... A size is smaller than B. An A sized slug will look like tossin a hot dog down a hallway in a B sized sleeve. lol Yeah... not that bad but it will be obvious.

Pistons interchange though, as the wristpin is the same size (as is the general rod to piston area design and combustion height... or wristpin center to top of the piston minus dome changes).

86.5 would be a good idea if you arent sure of cylinder wall condition. Just remember to get over sized rings, and gap them according to your RPM goals. The tolerance for them is in the manual. As a general rule for NA, less gap for lower RPM, more gap for higher RPM. That is not to say gap them at the widest tolerance for 8600 RPM. You could end up with an oil eater 30k miles later.

And there are no noob questions. Everyone notices different things. Thats why we share our findings here on the web.
    HAHAHA like a hotdog down a hallway....haven't heard that in ages.

You need over sized slugs and rings. Sorry i havent been on its been really busy on my end. Text me if need be. Just let me know who you are in the text. I dont respond to calls i dont know lol

251-533-8384

- Dave

Well found a place that can get the OEM slugs...i'm checking if they are PRC or RRC...they didn't specify...the damn things are 533 plus need piston rings...is that a good price?? Or should i just go with wiseco's...

Quote Originally Posted by wcmbrk View Post
    Well found a place that can get the OEM slugs...i'm checking if they are PRC or RRC...they didn't specify...the damn things are 533 plus need piston rings...is that a good price?? Or should i just go with wiseco's...
    I would use Mahle. They offer forged pistons with two different types of alloy.

2618 alloy has less silicon and expands more:
    tend to "piston chatter" when cold until the engine warms up, for cars that strictly race, less engine life, stronger piston for higher combustion chamber temps/pressures, more ring clearances (looser)

4032 alloy has more silicon and expands less:
    less silicon than OEM cast pistons, forged process, same alloy as the pistons used in Honda S2000, less ring clearances (tighter), can be use as OEM replacement since they have great wear characteristics and are stronger than OEM cast.

For 533 no rings...they better be OS RRC. Thats kinda high...then it isnt considering the ability to source.

If they are OS RRC slugs id do it and scoop k20a2 oversize rings and call it a day. Sure its a chunk but its the CR you want with OEM slug reliability.

Mahle are a good choice as well tho. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    For 533 no rings...they better be OS RRC. Thats kinda high...then it isnt considering the ability to source.

If they are OS RRC slugs id do it and scoop k20a2 oversize rings and call it a day. Sure its a chunk but its the CR you want with OEM slug reliability.

Mahle are a good choice as well tho. lol
    Yea so the guy emailed me back that they are PRC slugs...I think they are the 11.5 cr...I will check the mahles...on a lighter note finally got my vtec head...I'm finally going to have real vtec...all in all I pieced together an a2 for 1000 (block 450, head 500)...now time to look into these Drag Cartel DIC's...thanks for the input fellas...it is definitely much appreciated...too bad you guys aren't in NorCal...I'd of already bought u a couple of beers...and maybe even hired you =)
    Last edited by MugsyTheGr8; 05-19-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information