Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

:( 3rd gear grind

I bought a 2003 si just last saturday, I test drove it and really liked it, it has 104k on the motor and everything on it is bone stock. When i test drove the vehicle, it didnt grind when i put it into 3rd. I also was unaware that this is a fairly common problem with these cars. After a few days of driving it i fell in love with the car..But after a few days, it started to grind when i put it into 3rd gear at high Rpms, anything under 3000 rpms it doesnt grind but anything above 4000 rpms it will surely grind. Once this started to happen, I did some research hoping to find an easy solution. After doing some research I found the solution of adjusting the clutch and also changing the trans fluid, i ended up adjusting the clutch Exactly as how the tutorial showed me to do so, and I also changed the trans fluid and put amsoil syncromesh trans fluid in because that is what was recommended to fix the grinding when entering 3rd. Neither adjusting the clutch nor changing the trans fluid helped out the grinding. I've been calling around to local shops (Omaha, Nebraska) and asking if they could change my synchros in 3rd gear, all of the shops refuse to do so and only offer to replace the whole trans. (2000$)....I've put 6700$ into the car already not including licensing the vehicle. I am 17 years of age with 0 dollars to my name after buying this car. Is there anything i can do to get rid of this grinding or am i just going to have to be dissapointed with my purchase from now on? http://www.ephatch.com/forum/images/smilies/mfrown.gif

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    It needs synchros. Sorry dude.
    Last edited by ep3moschini; 05-20-2009 at 04:01 PM.

:( 3rd gear grind

I bought a 2003 si just last saturday, I test drove it and really liked it, it has 104k on the motor and everything on it is bone stock. When i test drove the vehicle, it didnt grind when i put it into 3rd. I also was unaware that this is a fairly common problem with these cars. After a few days of driving it i fell in love with the car..But after a few days, it started to grind when i put it into 3rd gear at high Rpms, anything under 3000 rpms it doesnt grind but anything above 4000 rpms it will surely grind. Once this started to happen, I did some research hoping to find an easy solution. After doing some research I found the solution of adjusting the clutch and also changing the trans fluid, i ended up adjusting the clutch Exactly as how the tutorial showed me to do so, and I also changed the trans fluid and put amsoil syncromesh trans fluid in because that is what was recommended to fix the grinding when entering 3rd. Neither adjusting the clutch nor changing the trans fluid helped out the grinding. I've been calling around to local shops (Omaha, Nebraska) and asking if they could change my synchros in 3rd gear, all of the shops refuse to do so and only offer to replace the whole trans. (2000$)....I've put 6700$ into the car already not including licensing the vehicle. I am 17 years of age with 0 dollars to my name after buying this car. Is there anything i can do to get rid of this grinding or am i just going to have to be dissapointed with my purchase from now on? http://www.ephatch.com/forum/images/smilies/mfrown.gif

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post

is it a common occurrence for a shop to be unwilling to change the synchros and only do the trans? i really would just like to get the synchros done.

did you try angling or putting it in gear another way? ive heard some people can avoid grind by doing so... mine grinds once and a while and wont even go into 5th while cruising in 6th at 80 but mines a dc5r trans lol

Start looking into dropping the tranny and doing the job yourself. With an extra set of hands/friend the job isn't that difficult. You can't beat the knowledge and confidence you will gain. Take some time, don't drive the car harshly, save the cash for the parts and go for it. Just my opinion.

Or... save up to purchase a used transmission. I have seen them go from $400-800 on craigslist. But then of course you run the risk of having the same issue.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by chriswest710 View Post
    is it a common occurrence for a shop to be unwilling to change the synchros and only do the trans? i really would just like to get the synchros done.
    They should do it. Try ur local honda dealer or a shop that does mainly transmission

Hi, Welcome to the forum. Next time, please try to be more careful when making new threads. Put a new thread in an appropriate subforum so that a mod doesnt need to moved/redirect it.

Quote Originally Posted by chriswest710 View Post
    You wont know for sure if its the syncro's til you open it up. It's most likely the syncro's but if you can afford the downtime, I would recommend opening it up to see what specifically is/was the issue.

Most shops will not rebuild your actual transmission mainly bc it's fairly complicated. The cost for a remanufactured trans (~$1000-1500) or even a used one ($600-1000) will be much less than the numbers of labor hours plus parts you'll end up paying for. Customer service wise and labor wise, this is the easier route for the shop. Even if you were to ship your tranny to one of the major california honda transmission repair shops, I still wouldnt trust their work 100%. You'd be surprised at some of the things I was told from a major transmission rebuild shop. All I will say is, I recommend synchrotech if you're looking for a shop to do the work.

They should do it. Try ur local honda dealer or a shop that does mainly transmission
    From my experience, most honda dealerships will not open the trans. They will send out for a new/reman trans. The mom and pop shops in my area also only replace transmissions. I haven;t found one that will actually spec it out and rebuild it.

superchargedk20, didn't you send yours out to synchrotech as well?
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

Yea when I broke teeth in a gear. But I had the grind first and my shop did 06 si carbon synchros. Fixed her right up

Registered User Her-Name's-Ally's Avatar
    Yeah man to be honest. I would drive it carefully. skip 3rd gear when you're cruising. Save cash and rplace it with a rsx s 6 speed. A used one as someone mentioned is about 600-800. Labor for swapping the tranny will be cheaper then to have it taken apart.

This is an amazing car. The last owner probably mistreated it. Once you get over this little hiccup it will be all sunny days.

I wouldn't even bother with a used trans. That's taking another shot in the dark. U have no idea what ur buying until u slap it in. There has to be some shop around him they can replace some damn synchros. If not save for a synchrotec rebuilt one and never worry again.

I wouldn't even bother with a used trans. That's taking another shot in the dark. U have no idea what ur buying until u slap it in. There has to be some shop around him they can replace some damn synchros. If not save for a synchrotec rebuilt one and never worry again.
    Speaking from experience he is absolutely correct, I had the grind and got a 04 tranny used....put that son of a gun in and she started grinding 1 yr later...bit the bullet and bought a synchrotech w/ carbons...no issues 2 yrs + just keep feeding her torco!

When you guys bought a Synchrotech rebuilt trans was the $500 core deposit included in the $1,295 or is it an additional $500?

I think it was addition if i remember .

If not save for a synchrotec rebuilt one and never worry again.
    ^^^^ This.

save your cash, get it done right the first time.
    my synchrotec tranny is one of the best mods I could have done.
    WORTH EVERY RED PENNY.

I was refunded $500 after they cracked open my tranny to make sure it wasn't a complete loss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information