Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

DifferentK: rebuild time

Figured since this is pretty much a "from the ground up" rebuild- id start a new build thread. Since my last setup went up in a blaze of gunfire- i am back at square one so i will be taking my time and updating and upgrading all the stuff that has been bothering me in the engine bay.

As many may or may not know- the old JRSC k24 put out a stout 416/305 to the wheels before the blower mysteriously took a shit on me on the highway- which not only took out my freshly rebuilt blower but also my trainwreck k24... Total loss on both ends. But there was some light at the end of the tunnel- the supercharger builder backed their work and after inspecting the failed supercharger- they agreed to warranty it and all the supporting mods added.

So with the blower being replaced- i have a new plan of attack for this rebuild. I will be sourcing a JDM k20a complete swap- adding a few new parts to the mix and giving everything a good general cleaning. I am aiming at about 350whp with the new setup on more moderate boost. New parts will be shared as they arrive and i will make a new build list as everything develops.

So now we are here. The blower should be back in a couple weeks so i have some time to not only clean up the bay- but select, source, and clean up a new replacement motor as well. So lets jump into it-

Old k24 JRSC setup- RIP:

The aftermath of the carnage:

So now that the bay is empty- its time to clean some stuff up. This car was my DD for 9yrs so she has seen all of the elements- so there is no lack of rusted stuff in the bay. I am on a mission to clean/ paint/ replace as much of the old worn out stuff as possible. I bought some engine enamel/ primer/ prep from por15 and got to work. I first degreased and metal prepped the bay along with everything i was planning on painting:

After that dried over night- i moved on to the por15 primer. Taped everything off and dove right in. Decided to paint my ABS module, EPS rack, tie rods, prop valve, and a bunch of brackets in the bay:

Need to let the primer dry and move on the top coat. Pretty much everything will be black except the tie rods- i am going to paint them aluminum like factory. Once everything is painted in the bay- i will give it one last cleaning/ degreasing before i move on the motor. Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the new parts on order:
    Ktuned k20 dipstick
    Ktuned steel oil pan
    Ktuned spark plug cover
    Hybrid racing shift cables
    Hybrid racing oil cooler hoses
    Z3 upper chain guide
    Tractuff oil pan baffle
    HPT lower chain guard
    CC stage 4 clutch+ flywheel
    Mtec race shifter springs
    K20a2 crank pulley
    Bolt boys engine/ trans/ mount/ waterpump/ and engine bay SS hardware.

...More to come

Such a bummer that your last set up went out like that- good luck with your new build, will be following!

Quote Originally Posted by tlikethedrink View Post
    Such a bummer that your last set up went out like that- good luck with your new build, will be following!
    Thanks- it does suck but she will be back. I think the new setup will be just as potent as before as it will be able to put the power to the ground easier.

Some new goods arrived. A complete engine bay hardware kit from bolt boys, hybrid racing shift cables and oil cooler hoses, and a golden eagle vacuum block

Going to be clean!

One of these days I would like to swap and keep my SC. Haven't decided if I would settle for a k24a4/8... Cost differnce and availablilty is major factor. But I don't want to be regretting later not goin with an a2 variant

Looks like the rebuilds off to a good start. How much longer until you get the new motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Powers View Post
    Looks like the rebuilds off to a good start. How much longer until you get the new motor.
    No time frame. Once the bay is where i want it to be then ill focus on the motor/ trans. I should be about done with the bay this week so we will see what happens. I need to order some more stuff so it will all come down to when i have some spare coin for the motor/ trans. I havnt gotten the blower back yet either so that is a big factor too.

Update: final coated the pieces in the bay. The por15 stuff works great- even though its hand brushed on it doesn't really show the brush marks. I have no worries about this stuff rusting over again. I also installed some of the bolt boys hardware while i waited for the paint to dry. Enjoy:

Started tearing the dash apart to install my CTR gauge cluster. 9k all day!

And the work zone- close quarters with all the other project cars. Going to tackle the shift cables tomorrow

looking good! 9k is going to be a blast

Quote Originally Posted by tlikethedrink View Post
    looking good! 9k is going to be a blast
    Thanks man. Im looking forward to it. Installed the HR shift cables, ceramic coated my RH, and started re-installing all the SS engine bay hardware. Pics to follow.

It’s going to be a relief once completed. Take your time and don't rush it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st View Post
    It’s going to be a relief once completed. Take your time and don't rush it.
    Yea- but this is nothing new. Its not the first time the car has been in pieces. This is just the first time something actually broke... Lol

Stripped my jdm valve cover today so i can have my buddy paint it. Tucked the wire harness for a cleaner look and finished installing the SS Allen head hardware in the bay. Starting to work on installing my CTR gauge cluster and putting the interior back together after the HR shift cable install. Everything is pretty much reassembled- just ready for a motor now.

Finished the CTR dash install and threw my new ICB 6 speed knob on. Getting there.

Glad to see great progress! How you like them HR cables? i love their stuff...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information