Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is my clutch bad?

I have a stage 4 competition clutch and I don't know if it's bad or not.

The release is all the way at the top. For the clutch to engage i have to release the pedal pretty much all the way. earlier today I shifted hard into third and the car went nowhere. I don't think it was breaking traction cause normally I can tell. But in first gear sometimes releasing too fast makes the tires break loose... So it seems strong but I dont know...

Any input? Maybe the clutch master or slave are the cause?

Thanks

Since the clutch is a wear item, you have to adjust the pedal accordingly as the clutch wears down. If your engagement is all the way up it's tell tale sign that the clutch pedal was not adjusted properly after replacement and/or was not adjusted as wear was happening since installment.

I would check the threaded rod that comes out of the clutch master cylinder (CMC) that's connected to the clutch pedal first and see what the adjustment is at. If you feel it is engaging too high from the floor, thread the rod into the pedal then test drive it. If the clutch is TRULY bad a perfect test is to do a low speed-high load gear test. Get up to about 30-35MPH and put it in the highest gear in your gearbox, then mash the throttle so the engine has a large load on it, if your RPM's increase rapidly and doesn't bog down then you sir have a worn clutch!

I already tried the high gear load test. The clutch did not slip. I'll take a look at the rod later today.

Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

Quote Originally Posted by usedep3 View Post
    I read the thread and it seems opposite of my problems. My engagement is too high. That fix is for engagement being on the ground too low.

Sorry, I took a shot and missed. I wish I could be more help.
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Quote Originally Posted by Clash0901 View Post
    I read the thread and it seems opposite of my problems. My engagement is too high. That fix is for engagement being on the ground too low.
    Do the exact opposite of everything in the link. Occam's Razor.

Registered User Her-Name's-Ally's Avatar
    x2 on the pedal adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by cow View Post
    Do the exact opposite of everything in the link. Occam's Razor.
    logic!
    Green Crew #7

I am earth's most logical man.

I just adjusted the pedal. The clutch seems better but I still think this didn't fix anything. There is now a section of dead play and the clutch still grabs at the end. Right before the dead play starts. I feel like a shorter slave cylinder might help my problem. It seems to me like it's not pushing enough on disengage. Basically as soon as I start to push my clutch in its disengaged. Like resting my foot on it and it disengages.

Anymore input?

Thanks for the advice so far. Minus the troll comments.

I just adjusted the pedal. The clutch seems better but I still think this didn't fix anything. There is now a section of dead play and the clutch still grabs at the end. Right before the dead play starts. I feel like a shorter slave cylinder might help my problem. It seems to me like it's not pushing enough on disengage. Basically as soon as I start to push my clutch in its disengaged. Like resting my foot on it and it disengages.

Anymore input?

That dead play is supposed to be there. When you get a chance download the Helm's manual for free, it tells you exactly how much free play the pedal needs to have. Also, I think you might have air in your clutch line, do a proper bleed of the line and try it again. If that doesn't work then replace the CMC. On a last note, are you still using the OEM CMC or did you upgrade it? Anything more than the stock pressure plate requires an upgrade of the CMC.
    Last edited by USAF EP3; 07-24-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Oem. I'll try to bleed it when I have some free time. Does the cmc show signs of being bad by leaking? Mine is not leaking. Just curious why you the the cmc could be bad.

1) noob

2) To answer your question in the post above mine, it's been nearly ten years since I've touched an EP3 clutch, but I'm pretty sure I remember some fluid leak when the master cylinder was bad. I'd probably rule that out.

When I get a bit of time, I'll check my server & see if I have the EP3 Helm's Manual still hosted (if not, I don't have it anymore as that computer is long since dead) & I'll forward a link.

3) Is the clutch definitely wonky feeling? Don't be offended, but is it possibly in your head? (I assume it probably isn't, but worth asking.) It's hard to really understand what's happening without driving/ seeing/ etc.

The clutch itself has a lot of annoying chatter. The only odd thing is the fact that it grabs so high up. Other than that it grabs good and hasn't slipped on me anymore. I feel like the more aggressive I am with it the more it likes me. If I try to drive like a normal human being is hellacious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information