Close

03 sounds rough, almost like a helicopter..

Hi all, sorry if this is in the wrong sub.
    I have a 03 as a DD, currently at 146k I was driving and shifted from 2nd to 3rd and it sounded and felt like i hit 5th.. i pushed in the clutch and slowed down and it died.. I started it back, and it almost sounds like a helicopter, and shakes about like one as well.. I parked it for the night, but had to take it to work this morning and it idled OK, but still is running and sounding rough.. No CEL on but I'm going to take it by a shop later today just to see if maybe the light is out. I will get a video of it later today if anyone thinks they can help in diagnosing it. I am a noob when it comes to working on cars and would take it to a shop, but money is tight...

Ok, took it by a shop and they pulled the codes for a misfire on cylinder 2,3&4 as well as a o2 sensor not communicating which they said is probably because of the mis fire. I replaced the plugs to no avail and figured the coil packs are the best next step. Problem is it is my only form of transportation. Will it be bad to drive on it like this till I can afford the coil packs?(1-2 weeks 10mile/day)

usually an inline engine will sound "chopppy" or funny one of the cylinders is not firing. super weird that you have no CEL if its running BAD like that.
    go to autozone. free CEL light check. post a video asap and im sure someone will chime in. this forum has been a ghost town lately, you can also try the facebook group.

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by psporpcp View Post
    Ok, took it by a shop and they pulled the codes for a misfire on cylinder 2,3&4 as well as a o2 sensor not communicating which they said is probably because of the mis fire. I replaced the plugs to no avail and figured the coil packs are the best next step. Problem is it is my only form of transportation. Will it be bad to drive on it like this till I can afford the coil packs?(1-2 weeks 10mile/day)
    beat me to it!
    check the injectors? if your getting spark, you would need fuel to make the magic happen. hopefully you didnt jump timing or anything like that. that wouldnt be cheap!

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    I wouldn't drive it. Switch the coil pack on cylinder 1 and then see if u get a cel for that cylinder. If u get a misfire cylinder 1 code then u know u need new coils. If that doesn't work try a new o2. I'm wondering if the o2 sensor is the Caus of the misfires .

Quote Originally Posted by tlikethedrink View Post
    usually an inline engine will sound "chopppy" or funny one of the cylinders is not firing. super weird that you have no CEL if its running BAD like that.
    go to autozone. free CEL light check. post a video asap and im sure someone will chime in. this forum has been a ghost town lately, you can also try the facebook group.

good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlikethedrink View Post
    beat me to it!
    check the injectors? if your getting spark, you would need fuel to make the magic happen. hopefully you didnt jump timing or anything like that. that wouldnt be cheap!
    Quote Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
    I wouldn't drive it. Switch the coil pack on cylinder 1 and then see if u get a cel for that cylinder. If u get a misfire cylinder 1 code then u know u need new coils. If that doesn't work try a new o2. I'm wondering if the o2 sensor is the Caus of the misfires .
    Thanks for the replies guys. I will try swapping the coil and getting the codes pulled this evening, if that doesn't work I'll pull the injectors and have them tested while I'm there. Hopefully it wont be anything too serious! superchargedk20 how bad would it be to drive it for a week? I wont be payed till next friday, and as much as I don't want to walk to work, I don't want to screw my car up any worse either..
    EDIT: forgot to mention the codes were: P0304,P0303, P0302, P0300 (& IIRC P0139 or P01163 it was a 02 sensor slow response code)

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    Don't know exactly. I'm not a car mechanic . But u know ur car is hurting. Wouldn't it rather be safer to not drive it until u get everything sorted. To me it's just common sense. She's ur baby. U dont wana hurt it anymore .

I wouldn't drive it.

Thread Information