Close

Question K20A3 Build - Newbie Needs Guidance!

Hello Everybody,

So I am not going to act like I know what I am talking about... I am new to tuning and could use some help.

I just got my Ep3 and love the thing, but I would like a bit more whp. I would eventually (way down the road) like to do a full engine swap, however, for now, this is my DD. For reliability reasons I would like to stay all motor. Right now the car is all stock except for new parts I have put on for maintence (Sway Bar Links, Struts, Clutch, Tires, Serpentine Belt, Tensioner Pulley, Brakes, etc.)

What path should I take? Is it possible to get 200hp out of the A3 and still have it be dependable? If so how do I get there?

Thanks all!

P.S. - If there is already a thread out there that answers this post and you have a link, just lemme know! :)

many threads that cover this.
    i'll sum it up for you.

the only way you will get 200 whp out of the a3, is to go forced induction.

the smartest way to get 200 whp, is to swap in a k24a2, put a rbc and a good header on, get kpro and tune it.

False.

He could swap in a three lobe rocker assembly (flipped pin VTEC) or do VTEC killer and k20a2 or k20z1 cams and get really close to 200whp. He would need KPro, a tune, and supporting mods as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    False.

He could swap in a three lobe rocker assembly (flipped pin VTEC) or do VTEC killer and k20a2 or k20z1 cams and get really close to 200whp. He would need KPro, a tune, and supporting mods as well.
    he is a novice.
    he would have to pay to have that done and still probably not break 190 whp.
    might as well save his cash and do the k24.

although if he did do the vtec killer set, he would get a crash course in the k series. it would definetly be an educational mod.

You need kpro and boltons first . For DD the best way is A2 head swap. I'm running on vtec killer for 3 year now w/o problem. Run vtec killer For DD is possible , but need a lot of tuning .

parts for vtec killer is cheap...you are correct that labor is expensive...(1200 to do my vtec killer) 192/153 whp...and tuning is key for reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by mussh View Post
    he is a novice.
    he would have to pay to have that done and still probably not break 190 whp.
    might as well save his cash and do the k24.

although if he did do the vtec killer set, he would get a crash course in the k series. it would definetly be an educational mod.

Def start with the basics. & or suspension... Since you mentioned maintenance including struts and tires I would lean towards intake header and exhaust. If you plan a swap those will bolt right on.

Thread Information