Close

ep3 JRSC auto tensioner upgrade problem

Hey guys!

I had to do a timing chain install recently and when I was re-assembling everything, I went ahead and modded an RSX auto tensioner to replace the JRSC manual tensioner. The problem is the auto pulley is like 1 inch bigger (3.5) than the jr tensioner pulley (2.6) and it's rubbing on the charger pulley when the belt is not installed. Once the belts on it looks really tight and it's causing the belt to come off when I start the car. I actually ruined one belt and it started happening again when I installed the second belt.

Sadly I can't go back to the JRSC manual tensioner bc the bolt hole threads are stripped. Are you able to switch the tensioner pulley to a smaller size?

Quote Originally Posted by dimilo View Post
    Hey guys!

I had to do a timing chain install recently and when I was re-assembling everything, I went ahead and modded an RSX auto tensioner to replace the JRSC manual tensioner. The problem is the auto pulley is like 1 inch bigger (3.5) than the jr tensioner pulley (2.6) and it's rubbing on the charger pulley when the belt is not installed. Once the belts on it looks really tight and it's causing the belt to come off when I start the car. I actually ruined one belt and it started happening again when I installed the second belt.

Sadly I can't go back to the JRSC manual tensioner bc the bolt hole threads are stripped. Are you able to switch the tensioner pulley to a smaller size?
    How big is your supercharger pulley? Have you tried swapping the pulley off the manual tensioner to the auto tensioner?

If the belt is jumping off the pulley- then it's not tight enough. It may look tight- but look at the tensioner stops... If they are close to touching or touching- the belt is too big. The reason why it's popping off is that there isn't enough tension and it's just rolling it off the pulley when the motor is running. I've destroyed a couple that way when I first started.

Btw- the auto tensioner pulley is 3in. Maybe look at supercharger.com and see if they have a smaller pulley from another kit.... Or go with a smaller supercharger pulley 🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not jumping off. It's sort of shiting to the inside (right) when I start the car. Then it overlaps on it's self. Kind of hard to explain, but I think it's moving due to it rubbing, bc there is PLENTY of tension in it. I'm going to see if I can swap out the manual pulley wheel onto the auto one.

If it's moving then it's not tight enough. How much travel does your auto tensioner have? What is it rubbing on? If it's rubbing as you say- your more likely to shred the belt. Tension is what is going to make that belt move- I walked 2 belts right off the supercharger pulley when I first put the charger on because the belt wasn't tight enough. I know it's hard to explain- but if you didn't fight to get that belt on for about a half hour then it's probably too big... Personal experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK well I'm using the k070622, Should I trry getting the k070620 instead. That would be a tad bit smaller. I had to use a wrench and scewdriver to get the first one on and it only had a little slack when I pulled the auto tensioner to it's max stretch. I'm trying to repair the treads in my manual tensioner so I can slap that back on, since I had no problem with it for years. Not until I tried doing the auto that suddenly the belt is wanting shift toward the engine.

Don't think too hard 2004ep3hatch's Avatar
    How is your setup? Do you have a photo you can provide?
    Supercharged K24 Frank powered
    PM a Moderator for assistance anytime

Don't think too hard 2004ep3hatch's Avatar
    image.jpg

I'm running the 90mm 8 rib pulley. It's the biggest one you can get.
    Supercharged K24 Frank powered
    PM a Moderator for assistance anytime

Quote Originally Posted by dimilo View Post
    OK well I'm using the k070622, Should I trry getting the k070620 instead. That would be a tad bit smaller. I had to use a wrench and scewdriver to get the first one on and it only had a little slack when I pulled the auto tensioner to it's max stretch. I'm trying to repair the treads in my manual tensioner so I can slap that back on, since I had no problem with it for years. Not until I tried doing the auto that suddenly the belt is wanting shift toward the engine.
    You should use 61.5 belt.

Any know if you can run the 4inch JR pulley on the charger, with the stock auto tensioner pulley. Do they contact or not?

I currently have a 4inch pulley and want to run the stock tensioner. And I can't find the 3.8 pulley as its no longer sold.

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    4.0" worked on mine, but my auto-tensioner was a plate designed by Joe McCarthy and shortened/machined bolts to bolt up.

Do you recall if anyone ever had the 4.0 with the stock auto tensioner?

I'm guessing that the one you had made is no longer for sale.

I guess I could always run the 3.2 pulley and change my crank to the type s(02/04).

I really don't want to run the 3.7 pulley on my K20a.

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilmour View Post
    Do you recall if anyone ever had the 4.0 with the stock auto tensioner?

I'm guessing that the one you had made is no longer for sale.

I guess I could always run the 3.2 pulley and change my crank to the type s(02/04).

I really don't want to run the 3.7 pulley on my K20a.
    Message 2004EP3HATCH or hit him up via text at 570 eight seven 2 5991. He's changed his tensioner pulley both smaller and larger for better wrap and you should no problems running the 4.0" pulley. The tensioner pulleys he swapped around can be had at most auto parts stores and he can guide you. His name is Thomas.

Also if you're around, theres a HUGE Ephatch meet in Syracuse NY in a couple of weeks. Thomas can guide you with info. Some 41+ Ephatchers will be there....

Thread Information