Close

Unhappy Eibach springs broken... again :(

Never thought I would be posting this but... looks like I'm once again dealing with broken Eibach springs, I'm not sure how it's even possible, but my EP seems to break springs like fat girls break lawn chairs. (sorry, that was wrong, I know)

I originally put a set of pro-kits on way back in 2003 shortly after I got the car, they were fine until about 4-1/2 years ago when I discovered the fronts were broke. I got the front pair replaced by Eibach under warranty at that time, for the record they were super easy to do business with and quickly shipped me a replacement pair after I sent them a few pics of the broken springs. Everything's been fine, or so I thought, since then. I dropped the EP off to have a new set of tires put on it last week and the shop calls to tell me all 4 coil springs are broken!

Needless to say I'm done with Eibach, warranty or not, it's not worth the hassle/labor... probably going to just go with a set of Tein H techs, they seem to be the closest thing (drop & ride-wise) to the pro-kits. Also, I've been on Tokico HP's for the last 7 or 8 years, and they seem to be holding up fine still.

I would consider going the A-spec route but it doesn't look like they're still available new from Honda, can anyone confirm that for me?

Also a small part of me just wants to say f**k it and "treat" my EP to something nice, like say, a set of Tein Street Advance coilovers ...although that's probably a bit overkill for me as I wouldn't lower it more than 1" or so anyway, don't track it, etc. Anyone have any experience with these btw? My only other suspension mod is an RSX-S rear sway bar fwiw.

Thanks for reading, and any/all insight & advice is appreciated as always...

That's really strange - I've had my Pro-kit springs on my CRX for well over 10 years now. No, Curry Acura still can get the A-Spec kits new. I got mine from them about 2 months ago, and am very happy with them.
    Teins seem to get very up and down reviews; Fortune coilovers is what I would probably get (will most likely be getting a set for the crx in the spring).
    HTH and good luck, whatever direction you go in.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I've always had good luck with Eibach in the past also, so I'm a bit baffled trying to figure out if it's the springs themselves that are being made crappy now or some other possible issue with my EP (although I really can't even imagine what..?).

I think I had followed a link I found somewhere on here when I did a search last week for the A-Spec kit from Curry Acura and it was 'dead', then I looked on their website and it's no longer on there either, so I e-mailed them and they replied that they do indeed still have them, $635 + shipping. So now I'm trying to figure out what I want to do exactly, getting OEM quality for an "aftermarket-type" mod is pretty tempting and rare, at least for a Honda. And I've heard nothing but good things also about Fortune coilovers btw.

Thanks again, and good luck also...

Registered User Her-Name's-Ally's Avatar
    What kind of struts do you have? anytihng below OEM quality will probably make things worse. Save up (if you haven't already) and buy yourself a nice set of coilovers.

Well I've been on Tokico HP's for the last 7-1/2 years and they're actually holding up fine still, so probably gonna get by with just a new set of springs (Tein H techs) for now... the money's there just prefer not to spend it, yeah I'm old lol, also got a few other things that need attention/$ at the moment (other car, vacation, etc..).

Hopefully these stay, uh, how do you say, unbroken..?!?

I'm 49, so as a fellow geezer, I'd say do it all once and get the A-Spec kit. You'll be glad you did, and you won't have to revisit the struts again within the next couple of years as you would otherwise.

^ Yeah, I realize that probably would've been the best way to go overall, but I ended up just going with the Tein H Techs, and now I'm dealing with worn outer tie rods, so that's my next issue.
    And it's definitely good to hear I'm not the only "geezer" on here, although for the record you do have a few years on me (though not as many as I would like! sorry lol).

I am in the market for a new setup, and I always used eibach with tokico shocks with my ek and they were great, I was also debating on the tein h. Tech with the tokico struts, I was wondering how the ride and handling is with your current setup compared to the pre broken eibach, also when you contacted curry Acura did they give you a shipping quote, I'm just curious.

Yeah I was a pretty loyal/ satisfied Eibach customer myself for quite a few years, but after 2 sets breaking on my EP... not so much anymore. The ride and handling seem pretty comparable between the 2 setups, car does sit a bit higher on the Teins and the ride is probably a little softer but not hugely noticeable really. It did take a good week or so for the Teins to "settle", with a noticeable increase in body roll until they did. But after that they were fine... cornering ability may be down a bit overall on my car, but I'm sure some of it is attributable to me getting a new set of slightly narrower (went from 225's down to 205's), less aggressive tires put on at the exact same time.

I didn't get a shipping quote from Curry Acura, but for some reason $25 or so seems to stand out from when I was looking into it & doing research, etc. I know they said the kit is no longer on their website, please call to order. Hope that helps...

ya thank you that definitely does help, thank you for your input, and i hope you get some good meat back on after the winter is over!!

wrong post, please delete
    Last edited by 9000revs; 10-24-2017 at 09:13 AM. Reason: wrong thread

My car has Eibach springs for 5 years now and they still perform well and look good.

Thread Information