Close

Should I Get a Shorty Header?

I have an bone stock 05 HFP 150,000 on it. I recently put on a new-to-me low-mileage OEM axleback. I like the look and sound, and they're a decent axle-back for my needs. I don't want to do anything crazy with the car, just want a little more power. I have no plans for the car beyond that.

I got a brand new Megan mid-pipe from a friend I want to put on. The current cat is too far gone to re-bolt up to the mid-pipe. Once it's off, it's off.

Big thing for me - I don't want anything loud. Just a little noise is good for me, that's why I'm keeping the stock muffler. That being said, should I put on some shorty headers with a new cat? I'm afraid of loud the car will be with Race headers/Shorty+Test Pipe. BUT I'm also afraid that pairing shorty headers to a cat is pointless and a waste of power.

Should I just keep the OEM headers and get a new cat to put on the midpipe?

OR is it worth it to get a new shorty along with the new cat? I don't want to waste money on headers if a cat is going to nullify any power gains.

What's my best option:

1. Motor-> OEM Headers -> Cat -> Megan Midpipe -> OEM Axleback

2. Motor-> Shorty Headers -> Cat -> Megan Midpipe -> OEM Axleback

3. Motor-> OBX Race Headers -> Megan Midpipe -> OEM Axleback

I want to do #3, as long as it's not crazy loud.

I'm in a similar situation. Didn't want to do a race header, and my cat died on me a couple of months ago. So I did the happy medium that it looks like you're aiming towards as well. I now have a stock exhaust, Megan midpipe, and Magnaflow cat. No CELs since installation, and I don't anticipate any. I don't have a shorty header yet, but do have a PRM cold air intake. Noise is slightly louder than stock, but power is up a reasonable amount, and it's not not all top end. I will be getting a shorty eventually, as it looks like you gain 2-3hp with no huge negatives.

So I would say get a Magnaflow cat (hell of a lot cheaper than new OEM, and a used OEM is very questionable), install it with the midpipe, and see how you like things. If you want a little more HP, try a shorty; they're not too expensive. But I agree that it sounds like a race header will be too loud for what you want (and not sure about NY inspections, but that could be an issue too).

Another thing to think about is getting your ecu chipped. Only bad is the money and you then have to go to premium, but it makes the car a good deal more fun. Good luck!

Oh, I'm at the top of NJ; if you're coming to the area, let me know, and at least you'd have a comparison for exhaust note and so forth.

You're right, it'd be smarter to go with a brand new cat than a used one. Now though, I can get a OBX race header for $215 shipped, which is cheaper than a new cat. I'd lean towards that because it's more power and less money. Just don't know about noise.

I'm sure there are sound clips either here or on youtube. I'd check on durability of those OBX headers, since you live where you do.

But yeah, it's probably not going to be impressing the in-laws with the noise, I'd imagine.

There's a 9-page thread on here I read through on the OBX headers. People seem to like them and have them for years with no rust issues.

I just wanna know how loud it might still be even if I keep the OEM axleback. All the soundclips I find with race headers, they have an aftermarket muffler on.

Why don't you go with a race header, then add a high flow cat after it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmour View Post
    I've seen a few people talk about it, but there's always mixed reviews on it. I've seen a lot of people say the aftermarket high flow, spun metallic cats don't last long at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmour View Post
    If I were to have a cat welded on after the header, I'd still have to get a defouler to take care of the CEL right? The cat would only serve as complying with having a cat and noise deadening.

Thread Information