Close

Need some more NA power

I just purchased a 2002 EP3 and it is mostly going to be used as my daily and for some autoX. I picked up a kpro recently and now I want some more power mostly in the low to midrange since I don't plan on doing top speed runs in this thing.

I need some help putting a good set of bolt ons together that will give me the best results in the low/midrange. I don't want the car to be obnoxiously loud so I was leaning towards a Apexi WS or the noir catback. After that I am kinda stuck I have no idea what kind of header will give me what I am looking for. I have been doing a lot of research lately but it looks like alot of stuff is discontinued now when it comes to race headers. And the intake I believe I am going with the injen cold air unless someone has a better suggestion for my goals.

I do plan on getting it tuned afterwards with the kpro to maximize my gains. And maybe down the line some BC valvetrain and some stage 2 or 3 cams. At last but not least what do you guys think about a PRC manifold? I don't really want the RBC because of the fit and because it seems to really shine in the higher RPM's which I don't really plan on being in much.

Thanks for any knowledge you guys can help me with.

Look at hybrid racing header or dc sports header. For cams I would look at bc or skunk 2.
    Last edited by 1st; 09-21-2009 at 01:19 AM.

Don't think too hard 2004ep3hatch's Avatar
    I would look at the twin loop muffler. Thats great for helping with low end. It is nice to see you bought a Kpro already. The stock IM should be fine for the A3 because the RBC is really for higher revving engines.
    Supercharged K24 Frank powered
    PM a Moderator for assistance anytime

You can pull one, two, three hundred pounds for almost free hp. Gets expensive after that.

Why not run a vtec killer setup for your a3...pretty fun setup and should entertain until you want more power...

In all honesty if your looking for low to mid range, scrap the bolt-ons, and forget about the cams.

Just swap either a K24a1 or a4 with the stock bolt-ons. It's exactly what your looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmour View Post
    In all honesty if your looking for low to mid range, scrap the bolt-ons, and forget about the cams.

Just swap either a K24a1 or a4 with the stock bolt-ons. It's exactly what your looking for.
    Pretty much. Don't bother with the A3, it's asthmatic and pitiful in every regard.

I did already pick up a injen cold air, comptech shorty header and downpipe. I am now thinking about going the custom route with the catback. In the future I will consider the k24a2 since the a4 seems to me after reading the specs seems like it would be like going from a b16 to a b20 if I am going to go through with a swap I rather go from as b16 to a type r if you know what I mean.

Don't think too hard 2004ep3hatch's Avatar
    Go with a good brand race header and 2.5 piping exhaust. That twin loop will help with the TQ.
    Supercharged K24 Frank powered
    PM a Moderator for assistance anytime

Thread Information