Close

AC making clicking/ticking noise when on

Hey what's up guys, my ac started to make clicking/ticking noise when I turn it on. I've also noticed that it is not really blowing much cold air. Anyone experience the same thing? Could it be the ac compressor? What would be the best thing to do?

I would guess it's the compressor. I replaced mine right before I sold the car at 104k miles. On mine, you could hear the clutch engage, and that's when I heard the small grinding/ticking noise. I even tried it by turning the front defroster on and off; same noise.

A buddy helped with replacing the compressor, then I took it to a shop to evacuate and refill the system.

AC can be tricky. Either a bad compressor, leaking or clogged condensor, or low freon. Not a fun system to work with.

Edit: If you're not mechanically inclined or don't have someone who is that can help you out, I say take it to a shop. Luckily I had a very handy friend who is very experienced help me with the work. Otherwise, I would have just gone to a shop and paid the outrageous price.

Check if you have pressure in the system, maybe there is a leak somewhere. Like a year ago I busted my radiator and condenser, I initially thought it was only the rad, the a/c made a strange noise when turned on and it also didn't cool down. I replaced it and took it to a shop to charge the system.

Don't think too hard 2004ep3hatch's Avatar
    Do you know uf the clutch is engaging? That clicking you are hearing is probably the clutch engaging and disengaging. This might be due to low refrigerant because it needs to be filled to engage properly.

I would take it somewhere you trust if your not really knowledgable with AC.
    Supercharged K24 Frank powered
    PM a Moderator for assistance anytime

Thread Information