Close

Replace vs repair? Rear bumper light falls out due to small crack

Hey guys, when I bought my EP3 everything on it was really clean and well-kept (for an 11 year old car)....the only thing that I knew I'd need to address is the bumper light on the rear driver side. A small crack keeps the light from staying clipped in. I hate the tape look, although I wouldn't mind a corny band-aid sticker to be funny.

In all seriousness though, would it be more cost-effective to seek out a used rear bumper or have a body shop patch it / DIY? A salvage yard has a replacement bumper for my car ($135 painted same color) but overall it is more lightly banged up than my current bumper....but the holes for the lights aren't cracked.....

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'll post a picture of the damage location soon.

Personally, I would change the bumper cover out. There are different ways to fix that crack, most of them include using filler to mask the crack, but I wouldn't want filler on something flexible like a plastic bumper cover. I would be concerned that it would just come loose and fall off again. There is a plastic repair product called QBOND that we use at my job to fix broken interior trim panels instead of replacing them. I might try that. It's like $20 and you could diy. I would remove the bumper cover to do the repair, however. Then a little touch up paint along the crack on the outside would mask it pretty well.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply man. Yeah, it just seems really extreme to replace the whole bumper for a used one that has it's own scuffs, scratches, cracks etc. I don't care about completely repairing that side of the bumper, I just don't want the light to pop out. Thanks again I'll be weighing my options and checking out that QBOND. :)

That Q-Bond stuff looks incredible. I've ordered it and gonna give it a shot hopefully this weekend

JB Weld would probably work too. Couldn't you just Gorilla tape it in place from the back also? It doesn't need that strong of a bond to keep it in place on the bumper.

I suppose I could. Ordered the Q-Bond stuff from Amazon already so we'll see how it goes!

Ok, good luck. Be careful - cracks spread quicker than Miley Cyrus.

double sided tape on the back of it you wont even know its there for the most part same thing happened to my side marker im using double sided tape without probs and you can't even tell theres no gap

+1 for the double stick tape. Some sticky stuff and touch up paint for the crack.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Thread Information