Close

Popping/knocking when corning hard or jerkin wheel(video)

The first thing you will hear in the video is nuts and bolts rolling around in my cupholder so please try to ignore that. sorry, I didn't notice it until later when i watched the video, but the sound i'm speaking of is still loud and clear!

video: https://youtu.be/OeFeTOsfAJ0

Hey guys, so my EP3 now has 216k miles and im getting to the poing where i am replacing everything because its all wearing out. since i bought the car at 198k miles i have replaced
    -both ball joints
    -all new struts
    -camber bolts
    -energy suspension control arm bushings
    -came with tein lowering springs

and outer tie rods are next because my right one has a little play and by little i mean 1-3mm.
    Anyway i finally got all that replaced and was so happy with the ride and then i started getting this horrendous popping noise randomly. It pops in and out during cornering and correction.. it's so weird it makes me think the camber bolts are loose and the strut is pivoting but i have ruled that out. The only thing i can guess is the top strut mount rubber or bearing is bad, or that the spring is jumping out of the retainer maybe? I did notice the sound/vibration is coming from the right side and my front right strut mount rubber is cracked, but when i push down on the car i don't see much movement. Also the sound sometimes disappears and doesn't come back for a day or two. I'm quite stumped. I would greatly appreciate anyone with experience with this issue. Thanks in advance!

Anyone???

I've never heard that before. Someone here will have heard it before. Take it back to the shop that did the work. Sort of sounds like a misaligned spring - off of the perch.

I will check it this weekend and realign it and probably go ahead and replace the top strut mount since it's cracked. Will post the results

Just an update I complete disassembled my strut and the bearing is good. Rubber is starting to wear a bit but there is no way the strut is making or causing the noise. It's still there. I have narrowed it down to engine mounts, ball joint pivoting, tie rode ends or sway bar links. Will check links asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
    Your link doesn't work man

Quote Originally Posted by Mosderek View Post
    Your link doesn't work man
    It was just a search in this sections - tons of threads. I've never had the problems that so many have had with aftermarket suspensions. I have had the springs come off the perch from potholes in a gravel parking lot I frequent. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

I will so far I have retightened the CA bushing bolts with no load...no luck there. Honestly only thing I can think it would honestly be is ball joint, steering wrack, tie rod end I've also read weak spot welding points in the sub frame. Praying it's not steering wrack or sub frame.

I think it's a slider steering rack issue.

Have you had this issue? I don't see why it would only do it under heavy load of its the steering rack??? I would think it would do anytime you jerk the wheel whether it's moving or not if its the steering rack

Considering your explanation of the issue you are having I also think it is the steering rack. I would open up the boots and grease them up with the honda urea grease. Just my .02 cents. I used to have a clunking noise, but it also occurred when going straight but would come and go for couple of days. Regreased the rack, clunking disappeared after couple of days when the grease got in all areas inside the boots. Just a thought, maybe your issue is different...

Thank you! I will most definitely do it. Can't hurt. Can I just use waterproof grease or do I need this special grease and if so where can I get it besides Honda?

Quote Originally Posted by Mosderek View Post
    Thank you! I will most definitely do it. Can't hurt. Can I just use waterproof grease or do I need this special grease and if so where can I get it besides Honda?
    I think it could be any grease, as long as it doesnt dry out or loses its form by becoming more liquid... I just used the honda one because had good experience with it. Also, I think that is the one they used from factory, just did not put enough. It is not that expensive even if it's bought from Honda, you will probably use half the container, although, there are plenty of places online that sell it, just type the name in your search engine. Hope it works out and fixes your issue.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=hond...utf-8&oe=utf-8
    https://www.google.com/search?q=hond...se+alternative

Well I let my brother barrow my car for about 1.5 months and the sounds ended up going away on its own. Which is very hard to believe considering how loud it was. This leads me to believe somehow it was my steering rack. Very mysterious sorry I don't have a real answer, but until it returns.....

Thread Information