Close

Question Help W/ Steering sound Issues (squeak and click)

Hi guys, I have some steering issues that i need help with. If anyone of you guys had one of these problems, please feel free to tell me what the issue is and how it got fixed.

1. Steering squeaks/whines

whenever im at really low speeds and i steer the wheel (even when i steer slightly), i hear a low pitched squeak and it can be loud sometimes. it doesnt seem to squeak when im stationary.

2. steering clicks/ticks/knocks
    Whenever i steer the wheel when im stationary or at low speeds, i hear clicks/ticks/knocks. It isnt loud and i dont feel of those clicks. its just a faint, plasticy sound. I dont notice it at higher speeds probably because it doesnt happen at high speeds or it might be the engine sound thats covering it.

Possibly related problems?

Today after collecting my EP3 from my mechanic, i asked him to look into these problems and i found out that my strut mount bearing thing on both sides are slightly torn.
    My engine mount behind the right hand side head light is broken as well and my mechanic said it might be a problem inside the boot in the steering column.

I didnt ask my mechanic to look into what was causing the sounds just yet but i was wondering if the list of possibly related problems could be the reason.

Lastly, could any of these be a sign of danger?

Thanks guys!

are you lowered? the squeaky steering can be from the steering rack.
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

Nope. The suspension is stock. I was planning on buying tein coilovers but before I do anymore mods, I really want to get this steering issue fixed.
    I'm frustrated everytime i drive my car.

I had the steering click issue and resolved it by replacing the strut/spring. The top of the strut has a bearing that goes out and you have the replace the whole thing. Figure out which one and replace either the whole assembly OR the top. Be careful to select the part for a hatchback, as the coup assembly wont fit. Personally i bought both front strut assemblies from the same car to ensure consistent feel. This solved the clicking when you turn the wheel AND corrected the alignment issues i was having.
    Peace

Thread Information