Close

New here need some help

I drive an 03 si I'm getting ready to do some major work and need a bit of advice I'm getting ready to adjust valves never really got in to doing anything internal so any advice would be good if got a good idea of what I'm up for but since I'll have the cover off what else could I take care of while iv got it open parts I could possibly need to or would make sense to change probably paint it while I have it off but iv got close to 220000 miles on the car not to many issues but iv got what I'm hoping is vavle chatter which I think is likely not sure if it was ever done either way I'm over that 110000 make again I just got the car last year with 191000 so not to sure on all thats been done to it but it's clean good shape and runs like it's not a day over 100k. also I get rpm drop as the cooling fan turns on during idle and turns on a lot no over heating. And I need opinion on doin suspension bushing or buying new parts I have the higher end Godspeed set up waiting to go on rear lca's and camber arms need tie rod ends and ball joints whatever suggestions I can get in open to opinion on BC extended ball joints really anything I could be doin soon I'd rather do all I can the right way not cheapen out to do it twice but any money I can save is good. I have the vavle adjustment and what I said for suspension already need tre's ball joints rear brakes might as well do front bushings some ideas and a but of experience would be helpful have service manual and YouTube just new to cars really in this aspect still have a lot to learn but I can take shit apart and put it back together I just don't know what all I should be putting back in thanks for any thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Naraku66600 View Post
    any thoughts
    Paragraphs?

I'm trying to figure out how well you're organized and what your plan really is. Let's see...

- Valve lash adjustment: This is what you're hoping will fix the valve chatter, right? Are you sure you're not actually hearing the injectors? (which is normal; their injection pulses are so quick that they sound like they're "ticking")

- Suspension. Bushings? Or new arms? Are you asking whether to just replace the bushings or replace the entire control arms? Depends on the shop and what you know how to do, I guess. This isn't something to make a mistake with, though; it's not like screwing up a short-ram intake install or something like that. If a suspension piece falls off while driving, you're screwed (and let's hope you don't hit another car when it happens, too).

If you're not confident enough, there's no harm in having a shop do it -- and if you ask nicely, maybe they'll let you watch while they do the work.

RPM drop when the fan turns on: Likely not a problem. The fan begins drawing electric current when it switches on, which adds a load to the alternator and engine. There's also the air conditioning compressor which drags on the engine whenever it switches on; maybe this is what you're noticing.

BC extended ball joints: Is your car lowered? If not, you really don't need them. They affect the roll center of the car. If the car is lowered, the roll center changes, too (I forget whether it goes higher or lower), and the car can end up handling worse than stock because the wheel angles aren't right.

(I'm having to knock a lot of cobwebs out of my brain; I haven't been on EPHatch in a long time!)

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    Paragraphs?

I'm trying to figure out how well you're organized and what your plan really is. Let's see...

- Valve lash adjustment: This is what you're hoping will fix the valve chatter, right? Are you sure you're not actually hearing the injectors? (which is normal; their injection pulses are so quick that they sound like they're "ticking")

- Suspension. Bushings? Or new arms? Are you asking whether to just replace the bushings or replace the entire control arms? Depends on the shop and what you know how to do, I guess. This isn't something to make a mistake with, though; it's not like screwing up a short-ram intake install or something like that. If a suspension piece falls off while driving, you're screwed (and let's hope you don't hit another car when it happens, too).

If you're not confident enough, there's no harm in having a shop do it -- and if you ask nicely, maybe they'll let you watch while they do the work.

RPM drop when the fan turns on: Likely not a problem. The fan begins drawing electric current when it switches on, which adds a load to the alternator and engine. There's also the air conditioning compressor which drags on the engine whenever it switches on; maybe this is what you're noticing.

BC extended ball joints: Is your car lowered? If not, you really don't need them. They affect the roll center of the car. If the car is lowered, the roll center changes, too (I forget whether it goes higher or lower), and the car can end up handling worse than stock because the wheel angles aren't right.

(I'm having to knock a lot of cobwebs out of my brain; I haven't been on EPHatch in a long time!)

I'm pretty scatter brained with it all my self basically I'm trying to do things right the cars worth putting the money into for me condition is good and I'm paying on it for awhile so it needs to last im installing full coilovers rear lca's and camber arms yes will be lowered but no where close to slammed I'm comfortable with most of the suspension stuff as far as doing it myself it's all pretty straight forward I just worry cause I don't like having my car out of commission and I don't trust shops or dealer because they have all tried to screw me with this car over charging for si parts when they charge half for the same parts that go to most other models for those years. 700$ to replace the starter I understand is a bit more challenging for the si but 700$ is absolutely insane not to mention the other b.s. iv dealt with I can figure out things on my own iv been doing just fine with careful research and making sure i have anything I could need. I'm planning on pulling the shocks and struts for the suspension iv already purchased I need ball joints tie rod ends hub bearing which I'm gonna let a shop press while I have things apart because I can't physically do it and I know not to push my limits rear brakes need to be done as well. The bushing in the front lca's look about shot but the arms are good it may see some auto cross basically it's gonna end up a majority rebuild and I don't wanna cheap out and do things twice I don't wanna ruin the 1500$ in suspension because I didn't do things right I'm at the beginning of a learning process that i have very few people to talk and ask questions about things. As far as the vavle lash it's had a small tick a while and recently grew louder not sure when or if it's ever but done but I have the gasket and all that sitting here and figure that's a key place to start since it's due every 110000 miles I'm at 219000 figure either way probably should start with that then go from there but if I'm gonna have it open I'm not sure what else could be done while I'm in there. is it worth doin the valve springs? Basically if it's gonna be a part I'm trying to fix, upgrade whatever I can in one shot that goes for everything I'm trying to accomplish the most i can on a moderate budget so suggestions of parts brands mods whatever I'm sick of lookin it's driving me nuts trying to siff through garbage and b.s. trying not to be ripped off of do something wrong. The BC ball joints are the only performance based ones I can find but can't find much about them if I'm paying for good shit it better be good shit and last. And they do heighten the geometry and in turn lowers the car apparently a lot which since I don't wanna over stress the shocks i kinda like that idea.

(I'll ask one more time nicely: paragraphs, please? I'm getting on your case about your writing because we can't really know you by any means except by your writing style. And if you're planning to do your repairs as scatter-brained as you write, we're going to wonder if you're going to take the advice we give and execute it properly.)

Anyway...

Do you need new valve springs? I don't think so; just take care of the valve lash. Get some feeler gauges and work carefully.

Also, you should look at whether you'd need a new timing chain tensioner. This has surfaced as a need-to-do-eventually repair now that our K-series engines are getting old enough.

You're correct to do suspension bushings and other parts like that. The car's getting old, and these are normal repairs on old cars.

Understand this, though: not a whole lot of suspension and engine parts on the EP are shared among other Civics from the same era. It's got a lot more in common with the RSX, in fact. This is a big reason why you aren't finding comparable prices at dealers and shops. More than half of the mods I did on my EP were actually RSX parts anyway.

Sry I don't get on this kind stuff much and usually have to be quick about it. My scattered thoughts help cause I bounce around so much I end up goin through as many things as I can and over research so when it comes time I don't miss anything and any little helpful hint I can find has been found.

Anyways here's where I'm at. I don't think theres much I can miss on the suspension as far as parts go. Godspeed mono max coilovers with rear lca's and rear camber arms. front hub bearings are goin so I got koyo bearings and Dorman hubs ( hubs just in case) and energy suspension bushing for the front lca's. I did opt for the BC ball joints since i dont plan on goin super low with that suspension it's not really made to slam a car seems to be more functional than style and from what iv read on the B.C.s they raise the suspension in a way that lowers the center of gravity which gives the car a drop on it's own and I assume the less I have to use the coilovers it won't put as much stress on the shocks. So I think I'm pretty set for now with all that.

As for the valve lash. I have the feelers and gasket and all that I'm gonna do it regardless but it could be injectors as you said I haven't read much on that yet is it something that's normal or need to replace. It's a quick tick at idle and speed increases with rpm but noise level stays constant if that helps determine which I'm posting a link for a video I will leave at the end and it's very clear no extra feed back that's what it sounds like

Thanks for the heads up on the timing sensor I'm very new to working on cars so thanks for any thoughts and your time I learn quick if my heads in it so I do realize what I shouldn't do I will have done by a shop like pressing bearings I'd rather not ruin. Hopefully this is a bit easier than my last two.

It may seem like a waste but the car is in great shape and there s no shortage of reasonable engines after this one goes or I swap it I bought it planning a rebuild and now that I'm getting into it I think I made a good choice considering I'm not on a wide open budget I can afford what's needed if a major problem happens. And it's just so much fun to drive.

heres a link to the chatter https://youtu.be/XVXHv_gJESw
    Thanks again. I'll keep trying to make things easier for people to figure out

Thread Information