Close

Swap vs. tubro/supercharger

Just bought an EP3 and I find it decently fast (I don't track it or anything and only go up to about 100mph on the highway) but nevertheless would appreciate a bit more from my car. I was wondering what the pros and cons for an engine swap are compared to turbo/supercharging, and which would be more sensible.

My K24a2 is super reliable, great power (240 hp/220 tq) and revs to 8500 rpm. Very little is needed for the swap (mounts, K-Pro, injectors) so it's easy enough, considering.

Does the fuel economy suffer at all? Also if you don't mind me asking, how much did all of that cost?

Economy is a little down but not terribly so, and also running 91 Octane. In Canadian prices (remove 32% for US conversion) it was $2500 for a 2007 TSX K24A2 with 13000 verified KM shipped across the country from BC to Quebec, $1k for K-pro (already had it), $2500 for install, dyno tuning and varies small parts. Those motors are cheaper now and you likely have a better selection/price in LA, but I valued the low KM on my unit. Make sure to get a 2007+ K24 (or really any K series: RSX, S2000, Type R) for the improved Timing Chain Tensioner, as that weak point on the K-series motors killed my 2002 K20a3.

Cheers

I actually also have a JRSC that I'm still planning on installing one day, lol. I've had it in the garage now for 6 years, but just changed the oil in it. Should easily boost me to over 300hp to the wheels...which means I'll need an LSD too...expensive hobby cars!

Thread Information