Close

Talking 03 Ep3 -- New to the forum, looking for suspension!

What up everyone
    I'm new to learning about cars, new to driving standard... had a serious wake up call with my previous vehicle (2005 Subaru Legacy) which I had chosen for the 4wd in snowy winters and hatchback space. I blew a head gasket after an ongoing leaking/burning oil issue which I think was partially my own stupidity.

I'm 28, female, and that was the first vehicle I had bought, not inherited. It only lasted me 6 months so it was a sad story!

I've just set myself up with a 2003 Ep3 which I bought in Toronto for $2,300 off a really sweet guy. It seems well maintained, and has 267k on it.

I'm trying to treat my last car experience as a big lesson and get really inspired about car care and maintenance. I love my new ride and I don't want to mess it up!!

It's got some corrosion in the exhaust system behind the cat and before the muffler, so I'm thinking of just replacing the whole cat back. I'm also looking for someone with original suspension they could sell me, as the aftermarket suspension the previous owner installed is going to cause me some trouble in the snowy winters up here. Snow will get stuck up in the wheel wells and it sits really low. I realize a lot of people like that look but I have to go with function followed by beauty to make my lifestyle work!

I'm not the typical Ep3 owner as I originally found the model when I was looking for a reliable civic with a hatchback, so I could fit the large pieces of wood I use for my art in the back without sacrificing to much on gas mileage and durability. I wasn't looking for a sporty car, but now that I've got one... my, how quickly things change! It's so fun to drive!

Just buffed the headlights and detailed it yesterday, so all I need is the exhaust and it will be safety ready.

If anyone has original suspension sitting around that they want to sell me, please let me know. :)
    unnamed2.jpg

Congrats and welcome to the forum. If you end up getting a new suspension, you might want to consider the RSX A-Spec suspension kit (available at dealers and also on ebay). It's about $650 US. It drops the car only about 3/4", still gives a stock-ish ride, and adds a bit more fun at the same time. It's a good package overall.

2nd the A-Spec/Type-R Suspension. Works great, keeps the annoying suspension geometry our cars come with within its limits and handles like a dream.

If you wanted to spend a lot and get the best, highly recommend the Bilstein PSS9/PSS10 Coilover kit. 1500+ and well worth the money. Go OEM and keep it civil, or spend a fortune and make it handle like a racecar.

Thread Information