Close

K24a2 with k20z1 tranny

I have a 2005 ep3 usa si version. I bought 2008 k24a2 with 128k for 900$. I bought the 2005 rsx type s tranny with 50k for $1000. I think I made out good.. ANYWAY.
    Problem #1. I was told the 05 tranny is high frequency, and our ep3s are low frequency...
    Problem #2 the k24 is drive by wire so It would be difficult to make this combo work??
    Problem #3 when I buy a clutch I would be buying it for the tranny correct because of the spline?
    Problem #4 can I use the k20a3 ecu and have kpro put in it and use it on the trans I have and motor? Or would I need to buy a 02 04 rsx ecu and kpro that because apparently the 05 06 cannot be used because of the security and they are "trash". Says a guy from Hondata..
    Problem #5 would the 05 trans work with a 04 ecu kpro?
    Problem #6 can I use any k series harness with a k24.
    Most of the questions im asking I asked Hondata but they didn't know much. I thank you before hand to anyone who can help
    I'm not new to the site I just made an account today. I am mechanicly inclined also so I do know technical words. I would love for someone to chim in who has done this before but if anyone can help me clarify what i need to make this work without buying extra parts. I know I NEED crv mount and kpro. Just don't know if I need a new harness or what else. I also will be doing k20a2 oil pump and water pump on my k24.

Talk to Russ at Xenocron, he might be able to help you out on what's necessary for Kpro. I had them do my ecu and also the tuning on my K20A when I had it done earlier this year.

Can't help you on other stuff, since we have different swaps. But yes, buy the clutch for the tranny.

Also, I'd recommend getting on the Facebook groups also - the difference in traffic between here and FB is huge, and you'd get better/more responses.

Another thing to think about is that Street Scene is in two weekends in Syracuse, and you'd have 30-50 EP3 brains to pick on what to do with the swap; I'm sure you'd run into several people who have done what you're looking at. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Bmxrider1331 View Post
    I have a 2005 ep3 usa si version. I bought 2008 k24a2 with 128k for 900$. I bought the 2005 rsx type s tranny with 50k for $1000. I think I made out good.. ANYWAY.
    Problem #1. I was told the 05 tranny is high frequency, and our ep3s are low frequency...
    Problem #2 the k24 is drive by wire so It would be difficult to make this combo work??
    Problem #3 when I buy a clutch I would be buying it for the tranny correct because of the spline?
    Problem #4 can I use the k20a3 ecu and have kpro put in it and use it on the trans I have and motor? Or would I need to buy a 02 04 rsx ecu and kpro that because apparently the 05 06 cannot be used because of the security and they are "trash". Says a guy from Hondata..
    Problem #5 would the 05 trans work with a 04 ecu kpro?
    Problem #6 can I use any k series harness with a k24.
    Most of the questions im asking I asked Hondata but they didn't know much. I thank you before hand to anyone who can help
    I'm not new to the site I just made an account today. I am mechanicly inclined also so I do know technical words. I would love for someone to chim in who has done this before but if anyone can help me clarify what i need to make this work without buying extra parts. I know I NEED crv mount and kpro. Just don't know if I need a new harness or what else. I also will be doing k20a2 oil pump and water pump on my k24.
    Apologize if any of the below is wrong or outdated. It's from memory. Just want to help another NJ ephatcher.

1) not sure, but I think what you're looking for is a speedo healer
    2) drive by wire should be sorted by using your ep3 throttle body
    3) clutch is generally determined by flywheel. DC5 flywheel, DC5 clutch. you cannot use an ep3 flywheel with a dc5 clutch. the pins are different. I recommend the DC5 type s flywheel if you're still looking. I went with a (dc5) type r flywheel and dc5s oem clutch.
    4) ep3 ecu is fine for kpro. 02-04 dc5 ecu is good if you want to mess with the reverse lock out. I have no issues with my ep3 kpro'ed ecu and my 07 k24a2 w/ modded ep3 tranny. if you do decided to use an 05/06 type s ecu you'll need to piggy back an earlier ecu anyway.
    5) not sure.
    6) I reused my ep3 harness. had to switch a few sensors over but it was pretty straight forward.

I wish I could help you more with the transmission compatibility. Hope the above helps.

The mod list from my member's ride thread should have all the parts I ended up using for the swap. I think somewhere in the thread, there's a pic of all the parts and fluids I bought just prior to the swap.

Good luck
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

Quote Originally Posted by usedep3 View Post
    Apologize if any of the below is wrong or outdated. It's from memory. Just want to help another NJ ephatcher.

1) not sure, but I think what you're looking for is a speedo healer
    2) drive by wire should be sorted by using your ep3 throttle body
    3) clutch is generally determined by flywheel. DC5 flywheel, DC5 clutch. you cannot use an ep3 flywheel with a dc5 clutch. the pins are different. I recommend the DC5 type s flywheel if you're still looking. I went with a (dc5) type r flywheel and dc5s oem clutch.
    4) ep3 ecu is fine for kpro. 02-04 dc5 ecu is good if you want to mess with the reverse lock out. I have no issues with my ep3 kpro'ed ecu and my 07 k24a2 w/ modded ep3 tranny. if you do decided to use an 05/06 type s ecu you'll need to piggy back an earlier ecu anyway.
    5) not sure.
    6) I reused my ep3 harness. had to switch a few sensors over but it was pretty straight forward.

I wish I could help you more with the transmission compatibility. Hope the above helps.

The mod list from my member's ride thread should have all the parts I ended up using for the swap. I think somewhere in the thread, there's a pic of all the parts and fluids I bought just prior to the swap.

Good luck
    #1 I do not want my spedo off that's just annoying so I would need a special order that? Or does k tuned have that made already? I'm sure someone has.
    #2 sweet done deal
    #3. Clutch is being ordered soon I will definitely look into what you said. Because the k24 I bought came with a clutch on it to my surprise. So get a clutch for the z1 trans as if I have an 05 type s. Now you said you recommend a type s flywheel but you said you bought a type r flywheel, why?
    #4 so if I send out my ecu from my 5 speed ep3 it will work with my combo? The kpro will be set to a 6 speed? Because to my knowledge I thought the ep3 ecu was only good for the 5 speed only?? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you again fellow ep3nj like I said I want to make sure I don't buy anything I don't need and I want to buy everything at once. You cleared it up for the most part. Vtaaaak

You're definitely wrong on #4; I have a complete K20A engine/lsd/6-speed tranny and I'm using my OEM ecu with the Kpro (so that I could still have the immobilizer working properly)

So you used your stock ecu out of the ep3? Which is meant for a 5 speed. But once kpro is installed it doesn't matter what you have anymore?

Yes. But you could double check with Russ at Xenocron; judging by your responses, I'm assuming you haven't talked to him yet. They're very good about tech questions there.
    Last edited by mr-alternative; 06-03-2009 at 10:24 AM.

I don't think I'm wrong about the ECU but OK. I'm fairly certain he can use the ep3 ecu for his setup. He just wouldn't have the reverse gear lock out.

My brother tried to use an 05/06 type s ecu for kpro on his k24a1 swap but wasnt able to. I was pretty sure the 05/06 type s ecu isn't as straight forward as the 02-04 type s.

I have a kpro'ed ep3 ecu with my k24a2 and my ep3 5 speed with a tsx 6th and lsd. I have no issues. My fault if I'm wrong but I'm just going off my own experience. I just remember that I couldn't use the 05/06 type s ecu in my car or my brother's old ep3. My brother ended up using the ep3 ecu setup by modding his oem injectors, I think there's a DIY on here.

The type s flywheel is easier to find. When I went to do my swap, I found out the previous owner had already put in a type r flywheel. I just resurfaced it and used the type s oem clutch/pressure plate I already bought. I would've gone type s if I didnt already have a type r flywheel
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

I don't think I'm wrong about the ECU but OK. I'm fairly certain he can use the ep3 ecu for his setup. He just wouldn't have the reverse gear lock out.

My brother tried to use an 05/06 type s ecu for kpro on his k24a1 swap but wasnt able to. I was pretty sure the 05/06 type s ecu isn't as straight forward as the 02-04 type s.

I have a kpro'ed ep3 ecu with my k24a2 and my ep3 5 speed with a tsx 6th and lsd. I have no issues. My fault if I'm wrong but I'm just going off my own experience. I just remember that I couldn't use the 05/06 type s ecu in my car or my brother's old ep3. My brother ended up using the ep3 ecu setup by modding his oem injectors, I think there's a DIY on here.

The type s flywheel is easier to find. When I went to do my swap, I found out the previous owner had already put in a type r flywheel. I just resurfaced it and used the type s oem clutch/pressure plate I already bought. I would've gone type s if I didnt already have a type r flywheel
    My problem right now is the speed sensor on the trans. It's on the opposite side which isn't hard to modify the harness to fit but the problem is the trans from the car is high frequency. The whole car is a high frequency (05 06 type s). Being that I have that high frequencey trans and my car is low frequency it will not read how fast I am going. So how can I fix this? Will the rpms work?? I did contact Russ btw he did help but I'm still concerned about this spedo. It's not a big deal but annoyance I don't wanna deal with only because I bought the trans for 1000$ with 50k miles on the trans so I jumped on it, with paper work btw. So I either have to sell my trans and buy a low mile 02 04 trans. Or I keep it and deal with no speed. Also the if I kpro my ep3 (pnf) ecu it should work says Hondata just won't have reverse lock out... which sucks kinda but Idc much...... Can anyone point me in a direction that would fix this problem if not Honda day is this weekend I'm sure someone there can answer this but I most likely won't be able to use it unless I use the 05 harness and a 05 dash harness which I don't want to buy. If it was only the engine harness I'd do that but to swap the whole car to a high frequency is a pain. And swapping the trans to a low frequency isn't that easy either... HELP LOL

Sorry - let me clarify - my reference was to bmx being wrong on his #4, not you. We're in agreement on the Si ECU.

sorry to thread jack, new user here. but i just swapped in a k24a2 with a pnd kpro ecu, using my stock ep3 harness, and im perma stuck in limp mode, no matter what cal and parameters....there is a cel on and if i clear it i can rev freely, for a second, until the cel comes back on. also my kpro wont datalog or show errors. help!

Thread Information