Close

Cam galling - k20a3 - 104k

During the process of getting my JRSC rebuilt I was going to pull the valve cover to freshen it up a bit but figured why not just do the valve adjustment now, I'm close enough to 110k.

After removing the valve cover at first glance, I was relieved because it looked like I had no unordinary wear on the cam lobes on either cam.

The inside of the valve cover at 104k with nothing but Mobil 1 Synthetic 5-20 and Mobil 1 oil filter:

Till I started to turn the motor over and then I discovered this wear on the exhaust cam cyl 1:

[/url]

Rust spots on intake cam cyl 3:

More wear on the lobe of the intake cam on cyl 1:

Every other lobe looks to be fine but the exhaust cam lobe when you run your finger over it you can feel a slight flat spot. I purchased this car 7 years ago with around 50k on it, now at 104k, and it has had Mobil 1 5-20 synthetic with a Mobil 1 filter changed on it since I purchased it.

I am not entirely sure on the best way to proceed. Others with similar or worse cams have been told to just run them if they do not cause issues, others far worse than mine, on multiple lobes are advised to replace the cams. The cams OEM are around 360 each and I fear that they will ultimately just end up worn out again due to whatever caused this cam galling issue in the first place.

I looked into aftermarket cams but they all require use of an aftermarket ECU like Kpro alongside additional tuning which is not an option currently.

I had read that the K24a1 has the same cam profile but again, difficult to source used without wear like what I already have and very expensive and the possibility of this issue coming around in another 50k.

Has anyone experienced the above when inspecting their valve train and what did you do about it aside from swap the motor or the entire valve train for a new one? I've researched swapping out the cams, it doesn't look terribly complicated, just time consuming and ensuring the chain stays where it is when you swap one cam at a time, but finding cams that don't cost upwards of 700 for a pair is a problem.

From what I have found on the internet the k24a4 and k20a3 share the same cam profile.

Brian Crower cams show the same duration for both cams and dimensions.

Now finding a set in good condition seems to be the issue. Shame that Honda never came forward about the galling issue.

Not much luck in finding an OEM cam and a competent seller. I did come across this for 130.00...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Acura-...dZGck4&vxp=mtr but again, it is a clone and coming from Kazakhstan. I'm debating on this, anyone else have a lead on an exhaust camshaft not beat to death for a k20a3?

Ever find OEM cams?

Thread Information