Close

Time for new clutch?

So I just purchased the car 3 weeks ago. Car had a slight whine when the clutch pedal is pressed down.
    Changed clutch slave master cylinder, bled the fluid, drove for a week (still with the whine) and now a little burnt smell when starting off in first. So I try to go to work today and couldn't get my car into gear.

The pedal is noticeably harder to press down. The whine noise is louder.

What u guys think time for a new clutch? I don't know if the guy I bought it from put in a new clutch yet to as I have 190k miles.

My other option is pick up a k24 from an tsx and hopefully to avoid all high mileage motor issues but I would put my k20 tranny on( no funds ATM) if that's the case do still need the crv passenger mount or can I use stock mounts?

Any options or opinions would be awesome. Thanks in advance

Whine with clutch down can be throwout bearing, and if the pedal is harder it may be that the TOB is binding on the tube. This could also be your burned smell- if when you release the pedal the TOB isn't returning quickly/all the way you could wind up with clutch slippage.

Honestly, the only way you'll really know is to tear it down and see. It may be possible with a helper to have a look at the release fork motion- have the helper repeatedly press/release the clutch and look at where the slave contacts the fork. You could also try to push the boot back and look down in there, but bright lights and a mirror are probably required.

Thread Information