Close

Battery light issues

2 weeks ago the battery light would stay on until I reached above 3k rpm then go off.
    If I high rev it while driving it for a few secs. It would then shut off completely.

Then after a few days it just stayed on and the car died.

I jump the car and took the battery connections off while the car was running and the car stayed on no problem. So I assumed the alternator was good and battery was bad.

Went to replace battery since in was old and they tested it. (Only had half the cracking power it should) Great!!! Bought new battery

New battery in for a week (no lights)and now battery light back on.. No check engine light on but when I read for codes P1298 was on. For ELD.

Went to a buddy with a parts ep hatch and replaced my ELD (No battery light when I started the car.) Next day light back on...

Read codes again (no code)

I’m leaning towards alternator.
    Any ideas?

Thanks for feedback in advance

Yes, alternator. The typical reman units at the auto parts places are frequently of questionable quality; if you can find a local rebuilder to clean/rebrush/rebearing your stocker you'd probably be happier...

Battery light issues

Replaced the alternator. Car starts up and runs great. Checked the power to the battery and the fuse box and my readings are around 14.40. But now the battery light is still on. It wasnt at all before all this happened. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by EP32003JDM; 11-06-2017 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Hmmm... Dunno, really.

Certainly if your alternator was dicey for long enough it may have damaged your battery. What is Vbatt with the engine off after the car sits all night?

What I'd do:
    1. Review Owner's manual for detail on battery light (should be available online if needed)
    2. Review factory service manual for detail on battery light (should be available online if needed)
    4. Maybe check the battery with one of those eyedropper testers with the floating/sinking balls (if you can get it open)
    3. Get one of these and monitor for issues:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVWDU0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Problem solved...
    Alternator from Autozone was no good or up to par with the stock alternator.
    Apparently the voltage regulator inside isn’t what stock uses
    Stock being a Denso alternator btw.

Got a used one from the junkyard with low miles. And everything is back to normal. No battery light issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the same issue, and the culprit was the corrosion on the terminal post of the alternator.

Thread Information