Close

2004 ep3 idle mystery

So my ep3 all stock with 197000 miles and running strong has a strange idle issue. First thing in the morning it has a high idle around 2k rpms. Once hot, at stop lights idle goes to 1500 rpms for a little bit then down to normal range until I step in the gas it starts doing the same all over. I checked everywhere for vacuum leaks, there are no cels, I removed and cleaned iacv which seemed fine and replaced it’s gasket albeit it was not that dirty and it moved freely, I also cleaned TB and replaced TB gasket. Valves were adjusted. I cleaned reusable air filter, checked pcv operation, and installed new oem spark plugs . I noticed that if I turn off ac idle runs higher by at least 500 rpms and when I turn on ac idle goes down to the 1500 rpms so I am thinking maybe the iacv is an issue despite looking fine. Also, I do not know if this is related but I disconnected the throttle and cruise control cables when I took TB out, put them back and seem fine but now my cruise control does not work, not even the dashboard light when you turn on cruise control

It could be your tps. Cheap part off of ebay.

Have you checked your thermostat? The car will normally throw a code for it taking forever to heat up but not always referring to the thermostat being stuck open. When you cleaned the IACV was there corrosion in the heater hoses to the throttle body? Does your Speedometer bounce if you rev it up when the car isn't moving? If you do decide to get a New TPS sensor dont get a cheap one. Either upgrade it or get an OEM one or maybe the Ktuner conversion to run the B series TPS cause they aren't prone to the same type of wear that the k series TPS is known for. And if you killed your battery or disconnected it recently be sure to do the idle learn procedure upon restart. or maybe just try it to see if it resolves your issue.

The cruise control not " arming" ( the green cruise light) could be a few things but messing with the cables shouldn't bother it. check to see if your brake and clutch pedal switches are functioning they're two on the clutch . one for starting the car and one for killing the cruise control when its on.
    Last edited by KaManDew; 10-08-2018 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Adding + Spelling.

Thread Information