Close

Can’t get 2002 Si radiator fans to turn on. Please help

Forgive me if I’m in the wrong forum but I have searched for answers on google with no luck at all!

I just recently purchased a 2002 Si with 164000 miles as a project car. Mechanically she is sound with the exception of the cooling fans. I can let the car sit for 20-30 minutes with no fan turning on. Even after I drove her back from a 1.5 hour trip, no fans on. The AC and the heater don’t work either.

I replaced the thermostat, the sensor that’s in the radiator on the bottom passenger side, the coolant sensor in the block on the driver side, the coolant and even did the wire trick to see if the fans themselves work. They work when direct current is applied. I also checked the relays, which were replaced just before I purchased the car. (Says the guy) I’m clueless on what to do next.

The guy I bought it from had it sitting up for 8-10 months prior. Before anyone asks or says, yes I did look the car over and I’m certain the fans were on that day.

The car has CAI, headers, and full exhaust. Nothing I’m aware of that can cause the fans to not turn on.

Has anyone encountered this same issue? Thank you for any suggestions and reply’s.

Well can anyone point me in any direction for solving this? Maybe a different forum or posts? I can’t find anything related to my cars problem on google. I have found similar issues with older models and will try to apply their solutions.

Are you sure your radiator isn't leaking or cracked because when my radiator was leaking the fan wouldn't come on? I have a theory that it turns them on based on the pressure but I'm not sure.

I’m about 98% sure it’s not leaking. But that’s a good idea to look into. I did finally get them to turn on by using a wire to jump the connections at the relay terminals. Otherwise they won’t work when the new relays are reinserted. It’s really weird. Also I found out that the ac fan and the radiator fan run on the same relay. Still doesn’t explain why the AC controls won’t work either. So I’ve at least found a starting point. Any suggestions on what to check next? Maybe a bad ground somewhere? I apologize for the sporadic response. I’m ADD.

there is a pressure switch attached to the AC system on top of the Dryer. it fails and this is what happens. it is on the Left( driver side ) right side looking from the front looks like and oil pressure switch. unplug it ( 2 pin connector) and use a paperclip to jump the plug and see if it works for ya. Turning on the AC should cause the condenser fan at the very least to turn on.

Thread Information