Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    that guy w/ the face poeticfinesse21's Avatar

Lightbulb Bilstein Sport damper observations

I currently have a full DC5 Type-R suspension installed on my car and I've always been extremely interested in purchasing bilstein shocks for my EP3 once the Type-R shocks are on their way out due to the superior design and benefits of the monotube damper. A lot of people though are skeptical about these shocks due to the fact that here in the USA, the same part numbers are advertised for the EM2/ES1 as well as the EP3. As I'm sure most of you know, there is quite a difference in spring rates between the EP3 and our "little brothers" the EM2 and ES1, due to the coupe and sedan being a few hundred pounds lighter. Now this raises the question of, are the bilstein dampers sold here in the USA under-damped for the EP3? This led me to do some research in which I came across some very interesting information...

While looking through a bunch of part numbers on Bilstein's European website, I found out that the rear Bilstein sport shocks that are sold for the EP3 Type-R have the same part number as the rear shocks for the EP3/EM2/ES1 sold here in the USA.
    Bilstein part # 24-114240.

Now the front shocks are a different story. Here in the USA, we are only offered one kind of bilstein shock but in Europe there are actually 3 different kind of bilstein shocks offered for the EP3 Type-R. They are as follows:

Bilstein B4 shocks: direct OEM replacement, twin-tube design (In other words, nothing special)

Bilstein B6 Sport shocks: High gas pressure monotube dampers, at least 30% stiffer than stock, increased power reserves and service life, suitable for stock ride height and lowering down to 30mm.

Bilstein B8 Sport shocks: Same as B6 except specially designed for lowered sport vehicles. Damper is a shortened unit to ensure spring is correcly located and gives less droop and more predictable control of over/undesteer and sharper responses. Suitable for lowering as low as 50mm (according to bilstein)

Now here's where it gets interesting. The Bilstein B6 front shocks for the EP3-R have a different part number than the ones sold here in the USA. They are as follows:

EP3 Type-R Bilstein B6 part #'s:
    35-114222 (left front shock)
    35-114239 (right front shock)

But the Bilstein B8 front shocks for the EP3-R share the exact same part number as the ones sold here in the USA for the EP3/EM2/ES1:

EP3-R/EP3-Si/EM2/ES1 Bilstein B8 part #'s:
    35-114253 (left front shock)
    35-114260 (right front shock)

Now apparently, all 01-05 Civics (coupes, sedans and hatches including the Type-R) in Europe share the same part # for the rear Bilstein sport shocks but the front Bilstein B6 and B8 sport shocks for the European EM2/ES1/EP2/EP1 have completely different part numbers!!

This leads me to believe that the bilstein shocks sold here in the USA should be damped more than well enough for the EP3 spring rates. If the same shocks are advertised for the EP3 Type-R then I don't see why not. Another thing to keep in mind is that these are "sport" shocks which according to bilstein are at least 30% stiffer than the stock shocks but possibly more. The only question now is what advantage (if any) does the B8 shock (same as the ones sold here in USA) have over the B6 shock (not sold in the USA)? The B8 shock is a shortened unit and our chassis already has very little suspension travel to begin with so maybe the B6 shock is the better option? I could be completely wrong about everything but I just don't see why Bilstein would sell the exact same dampers for the EP3 Type-R if they are under-damped.

Link to Bilstein's online catalog (choose English unless you can read German):
    http://www.bilstein.de/de/produkte/s...e-katalog.html

I would love to hear Mustclime, Zzyzx and any other suspension guru's input on all this.
    Last edited by poeticfinesse21; 03-18-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Go here for more info on Bilstein...
    http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mm.../drivetype=FWD

AND it's a US website...hope this helps.
    Last edited by Eddie Murphy; 03-18-2013 at 08:08 PM.

damn, that was confusing haha good luck and let me know if you get the bilstein shocks! im curious to see how the ride is

Yea I got really into it lol. When I have nothing to do at work, I just spend my time looking through honda diagrams and part numbers. That's how I learned what parts are interchangeable between the all the k-series motors and chassis. I'm definitely getting bilstein shocks in the future, I just don't know when. Next thing on my list is wheels and tires, we'll see after that.
    Last edited by poeticfinesse21; 03-19-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Murphy View Post
    Go here for more info on Bilstein...
    http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mm.../drivetype=FWD

AND it's a US website...hope this helps.
    I saw that before and the funny thing is, bilstein has the B14 and B16 coilovers listed on their US website for the EP3 but no one is the US carries them

I have ordered in january the bilstein b16 for my ep i'm from montreal canada but pretty sure they can still deliver to you

Try contacting those guys i made the order they are located in british comlumbia en canada
    http://www.essexdistributors.com/contactus.php

Still waiting to receive them its a special order and take 8 to 12week to get
    I expect to get them around april 10th

Quote Originally Posted by sir_2002 View Post
    I have ordered in january the bilstein b16 for my ep i'm from montreal canada but pretty sure they can still deliver to you

Try contacting those guys i made the order they are located in british comlumbia en canada
    http://www.essexdistributors.com/contactus.php

Still waiting to receive them its a special order and take 8 to 12week to get
    I expect to get them around april 10th
    Post pics when you receive them and pics of the install
    How much did it cost you in total?

It cost me 2200 shiping and taxes include,

i'll post pic in my built thread when i get them

Quote Originally Posted by poeticfinesse21 View Post
    Yea I got really into it lol. When I have nothing to do at work, I just spend my time looking through honda diagrams and part numbers. That's how I learned what parts are interchangeable between the all the k-series motors and chassis. I'm definitely getting bilstein shocks in the future, I just don't know when. Next thing on my list is wheels and tires, we'll see after that.
    is this at your job in the mornings?? sounds like a laid back place, makes me wanna work there even more lol

Quote Originally Posted by EP3Lov3 View Post
    is this at your job in the mornings?? sounds like a laid back place, makes me wanna work there even more lol
    Lol no this is at my afternoon job. I'm actually going to quit the morning job cuz I just got a sweet promotion

Quote Originally Posted by poeticfinesse21 View Post
    Lol no this is at my afternoon job. I'm actually going to quit the morning job cuz I just got a sweet promotion
    don't forget to put in a good word for me before you leave! and now with that promotion, time to get those Bilstein coilovers and come auto-crossing with me!

Those Bilstien Yellows paired up with Eibach Pro's is how Bilstien sets them up as a Strut/Spring set up, and the coilovers look sweet. for me I was looking for a sport but comfortable ride with a very moderate drop and I couldn't pass up on going with the A-Spec suspension. But those Bilsteins are real sweet.

Got my suspension today

Bilstein is simply awsome

with todd's caster plate

广州本田
    very nice!

广州本田
    Bought them haha!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information