Close

Need help with swap question

I'm looking at a 2002 ep3, it's said to have the k20a swapped in, however it's a 5 speed. I was under the impression that the type r motor always comes with a 6 spd. It sure looks like the type r motor with the red/silver engine.

Basically, is it possible that for whatever reason it would have the 5spd on the type r motor?

Anything I should look out for? I will check the engine stamp when I see it. Would the type R say K20A, while the base model would be labelled as K20A3?
    This is the only photo.

Thank you kindly !

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 5.08.41 PM.jpg

Yes, it's possible to retain the stock Si 5-speed and hook it up to the K20A.

https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...-code-on-a-K20 Discussion of stamping if engine.

the type r k20a only comes with a 6 speed.

here are a few easy things to look for to make sure its a type r motor

you could also see if its stamped as 'K20A' by the starter on the block. K20A3 will be stamped as such.

The previous owner could have always swapped internals or changed the valve cover, drip stick or added an oil cooler. You're gonna have to trust your gut. Drive it. If your drive a stock ep3, you'll def be able to feel a difference in the same car with the same tranny and a different motor.

I agree with tommy. You can use a 5 speed tranny instead of the 6 speed that is usually used with the k20a. Previous owner could have easily kept his original 5 speed and swapped in a replacement motor.

Is the sticker still on the trans? you're looking for a NRH3

look at the first couple of letters one the sticker. Here's a k series trans table

check the block and trans for their VIN tags. The car might even have a dc5 base 5 speed. The ratios are the same, I think its the FD's that are different.
    Last edited by usedep3; 06-08-2019 at 05:59 PM.
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

both the JDM type R and the JDM k20a(3) are stamped "K20A" on the block.

The best thing to do is pull the valve cover and check for vtec (3 lobe) cams.

Don't think too hard 2004ep3hatch's Avatar
    Agreed, take the valve cover off. You can also check the cams themselves.

Thread Information