Close

Thread: Fender Liner?

Fender Liner?

Kind of a long story:

I was taking my EP3 down from New York to North Carolina when, about 90 miles from home, the clutch went to the floor. I managed to get the car back to my house by rev matching the shifts and, luckily, not hitting many traffic lights. Anyway I got it home and quickly determined that I had a blown clutch line. I got it to the shop as fixing a clutch line is above my pay grade. When I got back from vacation I picked up the car and it was driving well. I took a look at the new lines in the engine bay and saw that the "subframe performance rod" was rusted and broken into two sections. This is a hollow tube which connects the chassis behind the exhaust manifold. This is not a good thing obviously. So I ordered a new part from Majestic Honda and I just got done putting it in tonight. Not a horrible job but not great either.

So my question: is there suppose to be some shielding between the tires and the engine compartment? I've got nothing there on either side. The fender liner is there but I can reach in and grab the steering linkage on both sides from the wheel well. I would imagine this lack of shielding contributed to the decay of the "performance rod".

If someone could take a peek at their car and let me know I'd appreciate it. Also if someone happens to know a part number of the plastic cladding that I'm missing if I am that would be great too.

So I've kind of answered my own question regarding the liner. There is a BAT auction for the same car I have and the detailed pictures basically show what I have with nothing really in the wheel well for the EP3. So that's that. Seems like a lot of stuff would splash up into the engine that way.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Thread Information