Close

Aux Input on Stock Head Unit?

I was wondering, is there a way to have an aux input on the stock head unit? I wanted a way to tie in my laptop into the stereo? I knoe the car has selectors for a tape player and cd changer. Maybe I could use these inputs?

--Tom

Re: Aux Input on Stock Head Unit?

Originally posted by 2k2SiAutoXer
    I was wondering, is there a way to have an aux input on the stock head unit? I wanted a way to tie in my laptop into the stereo? I knoe the car has selectors for a tape player and cd changer. Maybe I could use these inputs?

--Tom
    The cd changer has a long hard wired cable that plugs into the back of the factory headunit.

The connector has pins and each pin dose something different. 2 might send the signal into the radio. BUT what pins tell the radio you have a changer on it so it stays in the changer mode while you connect the computer. and on top of that the radio sends information to the changer to make shure disc's are were they need to be, is it powered up, and so on.
    The blue arrow is were you connect the radio to the changer. the red arrow is factory wire harrness
    Your better off buying a deck with an aux in. then you can run some rcas in the glove box and connect the computer to it there.

SLOlife
    I have attempted this route already. I really wanted XM radio but hate the idea of using an fm modulator due to sound quality. I found a Peripheral HONIL adapter for the radio that is used to add an Alpine M-bus cd changer. I though that if I used the Alpine KCM-122B adapter that turns an M-bus adapter into an RCA input. This setup did not work. I have a few thoughts on why it did not work. I was very disappointed when the system did not work. I know that the Element has an aux input but I am not aware of how this system works (actually on the deck or an adapter) and after looking at it I doubt we could fit in our cars.

ephatch member

Pinout?

you know, I Think they have the pinout of the Honda CD changer controllers... I bet all you have to do is put a resistor between the two of the pins or someting small like that, so the CD player things there's a CD in there... Maybe the Head unit is just looking for some resistance on the power to ground... but I don't know for sure. Bill

There are many places on the net that sell AUX input adapters for OEM radio's. Problem is,they are pricey. Here a link to one such place. They have AUX inputs for almost all makes and models

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront
    Last edited by JLannoo; 01-25-2003 at 06:50 PM.

I like this idea too, and I have a portable mp3 player just laying around.

I went through the Helms, and found there a pin diagram for the standard harness (see red arrow above) which has power in, audio out, but there is no similar diagram for the other plug. Maybe if we knew the manufacturer of our head unit, we could make a guess as to what the pins are based on other similar setups.

I bow to the mighty JLannoo!!!! I thought I looked all over to find that or something similar with no luck. Now I can have XM Radio:D !!!
    Last edited by Surprise; 01-25-2003 at 08:19 PM.

You know I had some other sites that sold the same gizmo and I think they are on my notebook. I'll post them if I can get to my notebook in the near future.

I went looking for this when I was planning on keeping my stock head unit...I ended up just replacing it with a Kenwood

Thanks, that would be great.

(bows to JLannoo)

Heres a company that makes them

http://www.pie.net/

This site sells the aux adapter made by the company in the above link

http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/piehonaux.html

This company makes them as well

http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_catal...blitz_aux.html

Originally posted by JLannoo
    I went looking for this when I was planning on keeping my stock head unit...I ended up just replacing it with a Kenwood
    Hahahaha

:D

ephatch member
    This would be sweet if it was cheap and I could just hook up one of those portable mp3 cd players...that way I can take it when I go and not get my car jacked =P

.... so is this like a high to low converter? high to low converters dont work?

Originally posted by TrippZ
    .... so is this like a high to low converter? high to low converters dont work?
    No high and low level converters, in the way that you are thinking, are a line out signal from the receiver to an amp. This lets you connect an auxiliary input, like an mp3 player or xm receiver. This is so the sound of out your new source (playstation for TrippZ example) will play over the cars speaker without the use of an FM modulator. Hope that answers your question.
    Last edited by Surprise; 01-29-2003 at 06:20 PM.

Thread Information