Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Left over parts after lowering?

I had Progress springs installed by a local tire place and had it aligned. I kept the old springs and they put them in the Progress box. When I got home I noticed that there were two black rubber pieces that were marked S6A. They are about 6" long and look like they attach to the ends of the struts. They look uncut.

Is this normal? The green sheet that came with the Progress says to use the stock bumpstops, but I am not sure if the part that I have in the box is the bumpstop.

ephatch member
    i think those are the stock bumpstops. i took mine out because the ground controls had replacements for the front.

Uh, last time I did my coilover conversion on my old 2001 Lx coupe civic(traded for Si) Bumpstops were little 2'' Diameter by1/2"thick Yellow rubber pieces. Are these pieces HOLLOW?
    If so these are just dust covers.

They are hollow and they look like they fit over the ends of the shocks.

Are these dust covers? Because those are the parts I am talking about.

Originally posted by FailureToStop
    They are hollow and they look like they fit over the ends of the shocks.

Are these dust covers? Because those are the parts I am talking about.
    LOL! yes those are dust covers...I'd put them back on to keep crap from getting all over your shocks

ephatch member
    helms manual says bumpstop.

Originally posted by ep3
    helms manual says bumpstop.
    what I'm looking at looks like dust covers, they are hollow, and are too weak to keept from being a bumpstop.

here's a better pic of what I think he's talking about...

see that black thing in between the coils...that's the dust cover...is this what you have failuretostop?

ephatch member
    02SilverSiHB, do you have a pic of the stock bumpstop??? if those are just dust covers, i need to take out my stock bumpstops,cuz i put the my replacments in there as well.

Originally posted by ep3
    02SilverSiHB, do you have a pic of the stock bumpstop??? if those are just dust covers, i need to take out my stock bumpstops,cuz i put the my replacments in there as well.
    you know, I actually left mine in there and never even took it out...this is for the front, so I'm not sure what the front ones look like. But from what I have heard on here, is that the bumpstop is integrated into the front shock....I need to find this out, as I am curious also.
    But as for the rear, you know which ones they are right? They are shapped like a cone and are like a hard foam piece.

ephatch member
    i know the ones for the back because i had to cut them in half. but for the front, i took out those dust covers because the helms manual said they were the bumpstops, and ground control said i had to replace them with the ones they had provided. also on the instructons that ground control gave, the drawing of the front bumpstop was quite similar to that dust cover, and i also looked it up in the helms manual, that was the piece. i'm not saying your wrong, i just want to know if i pulled the right piece out, and if not i need to put it back in.

Originally posted by ep3
    i know the ones for the back because i had to cut them in half. but for the front, i took out those dust covers because the helms manual said they were the bumpstops, and ground control said i had to replace them with the ones they had provided. also on the instructons that ground control gave, the drawing of the front bumpstop was quite similar to that dust cover, and i also looked it up in the helms manual, that was the piece. i'm not saying your wrong, i just want to know if i pulled the right piece out, and if not i need to put it back in.
    well crap, if you have a helms manual and it looks very similar, it make me wonder what the heck is going on. It just seems they wouldn't be strong enough to hold the impact in case of bottoming out. I do understand ground control wanting you to take them out since you have the sleeves to put in there. I need to get to the bottom of this....

looks like you might be right ep3. I went to 7thgencivic.com and did a search, came up with this: http://www.7thgencivic.com/forum/mes...38&STARTPAGE=1
    They start out talking about the rear, but then about second from the bottom, one guy replies talking about trimming the front ones. He even refers to it as a dust cover at the same time. So this is totally confusing me...I didn't think these things were strong enough to do this type of work. I'm totally new with this new front suspension. So that's 2 sources now, you and that site, I'd say you're right.

Well, make that 3 confirmations:
    http://www.7thgencivic.com/forum//me...72&STARTPAGE=1
    That kills me...it's a bumpstop! ha, anyway, I'm trimming mine asap, that's why my car hops some times and feels a little harsh at times.

(They are hollow and they look like they fit over the ends of the shocks.

Are these dust covers? Because those are the parts I am talking about.)

FailureToStop has attached this image:

THOSE ARNT BUMPSTOPS!!!!!!!!! Its the dust covers, put those back on! It keeps rocks and dust from scoring the shock shaft!
    Its imperative for the life of your shocks!Bump stops look like little donuts, those are flexible rubber cylinders!

Take your car back to the shop and get em back on!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information