Close

Adding vtec to the EP

This is for the techie's here (myeverlovin, JSIR, etc.)

IF this is pretty straight forward it would be relatively inexpensive......less than turbo and swap. If it gains 40 hp over base rsx it would give us a slightly lower margin but close.
    I was wondering if the complete valve rocker arm assembly of the rsx-s will bolt up to our head. So I began searching and found these links. One is parts for the k20A3 and the other is the valve rocker assembly for the k20A2.

If we are able to swap these assemblies, essentially adding the rsx 3rd rocker arm we would have the added crossover vtec.

Other things needed:
    RSX-s ecu (wouldnt we need certain fuel maps and other things?)
    set of cams
    (stock type s, type r, or we could even use toda)
    *The VTC cams should be the same on a3 and a2.*

Essentially doug could probably tune the rsx-s ecu setup using the rsx-s k20a2-4 setup, but use the civic si fuel cut off 7700 or so.....lower it a little for valve train purposes.

cost of the rsx-s arm assembly rocker is only $150. (NEW) They have the diagram of the k20a3 but not the k20a2. I wish there was a pic for the a2. The a3 is actually 19 dollars more expensive to buy than the a2.

Just a hypothetical conversation spark.

If this works to swap, then we could get to 200 hp N/A much cheaper.....

RSX-S Valve Rocker Arm components

Base RSX Valve Rocker Arm Components with pic

To start you can eliminate the worries of the ECU, it's flashable to any config. and can be made to drive the new "head" for a couple hundred dollars. This is the simplest part.

The cams, rocker arms, vtec assemblies and vtc mech. on the exhaust side, valves, springs, retainers, spool valves etc. are the next problems, and fittament is still something I am not sure of. Essentially if you could get all these swapped out, you would still be short of the true type-s power gains and 40 hp is not likely to be. more like 20-30 hp from a base setup. You still have to consider the compression ratio, pistons, rings, crank and rods.
    And even then you are not going to be satisfied imo, cause your tranny is still lacking. (not even thinking about LSD).

The only reasonable chance you have to get close is to swap the head entirely, make the connections for the exhaust vtc and flash the ECU to type-s hondata. This should be simpler and I still need to find out if there are any tooling requirements for the type-s head on the A3 block. From there you can start to add the std. boltons (if they are not already there) and you MAY get close enough to type-s territory in the top end. Then because of the lower compression on such a setup, you can boost it safely.

I am inclined to do this only if it can cost me less than 1/3 of what an entire A2 swap would. Otherwise I think I would just be wasting my time and money. But before that I will also try out a spoon gasket and up the compression a bit to see where that sits just for kicks. I know that in the bottom end and upto ~ 7k I am ahead of the type-s. The next 10-15 hp are not really worth the money involved.

Money would be better spent looking at options that would put you further ahead than the A2. (supercharger/turbo/ or play weekend warrior with a N2O setup).

I only know of one guy who has gone to the lengths of swapping the internals on an A3 head and I am still waiting for more info on cost and work involved. Wish I could be of more help. ;)
    Last edited by myeverlovinsir; 02-10-2003 at 04:31 PM.

.........duuuhhhh, my car go vrooom

Search bro .. this topic is another one for the been there asked that catagory -- joe :)

Thread Information