Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ephatch member

Will a road bike fit in the back of the Si?

One of the reasons I bought the Ep was that I loved the amount of room there was in the back when I folded the rear seats down.

For once, I could take my road bike to different locations in a car without taking off the front wheel and jamming the frame in the back seat.

However, because I have not purchased a protective covering for the back, I have not tried to fit my road bike in the back yet.

I don't want to get grease or scratches in the back of my new Si.

Has anyone here tried to fit a road bike in their Si? How does it work?

If you have speedclips on the front wheel it will. I fit 2 mountain bikes in the hatch of my EJ-dx no problem.

My road bike fits in the back without removing wheels. It is a pretty small frame (51cm). I have to move the passenger seat forward a bit and it fits easy. I put it in rear wheel first & chain side up to minimize grease/dirt on the car.
    Having all that room in the back is one of the big reasons I bought the EP.

ephatch member
    thanks, s800 racer. Do you put anything down to protect the car?

I put my mountain bike in mine a couple of days ago and it fit fine, but I took both wheels off. I haven't tried to put the downhill bike in there yet. I'm sure you wont have a problem putting a fag road bike in there J/K ha ha, any pedaling is good pedaling!

Originally posted by snubnose
    thanks, s800 racer. Do you put anything down to protect the car?
    I usually throw a towel or blanket in.

it should fit with no trouble, unless you're a giant and have some huge frame. my 56cm fits fine with the front wheel off. just wipe down your bike or throw a blanket over the seatbacks before loading it.

my haro fits fine back there, with the seats down, but its probably a bit smaller than your mountain bike. I don't line it with anything either, because its pretty rare that i get any sort of dirt on my bike... i'm pretty anal about that. :)

i fit a large frame mountain bike in my hatch. . . i just took the front wheel off and put it on a tarp.

mr_tim
    i stick my mountain bike in a bike bag in the car so i don't get all the crap falling off in your boot. i take the front wheel out too.

Nail-batter Moderator SiR Medic's Avatar
    This thread just kept me from asking the same question in a couple of months!

:)

ephatch member
    I hoped I wouldn't even have to take the front wheel off my 58 frame. Just put the bike in and drive to the nearest rural area where there's nothing but country roads and no cars.

Pick the bike up, put it in. Take it out, all in one clean step.

this is why I have a roof rack on my car, no dirt or grease to worry about inside the car :) the black car with 2 yellow trays on top looks pretty cool too, IMO. of course road bikes inside wouldn't be bad, but the thought of throwing a muddy mountain bike in the back of my new car isn't very pleasant!

What kind of rack to do you have MPBSi? I was checking out Yakima and it would cost close to $500 for a rack that can carry 2 bikes.

Originally posted by AkronSi
    What kind of rack to do you have MPBSi? I was checking out Yakima and it would cost close to $500 for a rack that can carry 2 bikes.
    I have the yakima rack, with rocky mounts bike tray/carriers. I already had one tray from another car, but the towers, crossbars, clips, locks for the rack, and the one tray (with locking skewer) totalled $290 before tax for me. The rocky mounts bike racks are about half the price of the yakima ones, and I like them better because they come in ten or so different colors and work great... check out www.rockymounts.com. I bought my whole set-up there, cuz its a local company and they installed it for free, but they do online stuff too I think. I didn't get the extension thing from yakima that you need if you ever want to attach bigger loads, like those big aero-box things. That adds another $100, but I guess you need it if you ever want to carry more than just bikes or skis...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information