Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down I dont see how a vortech s/c won't fit....

supposedly the response from Vortech Engineering on the development or a supercharging system on the k series ended with this:

we do not plan on designing one for the k series application. there isnt enough room.

if they can fit one in this itty bitty space of a c5 corvette...they can fit one in the huge empty space that our stock airbox sits. the system on the c5 couldnt be squeezed tighter.

Look at the room they made for the C5 kit. there is NO ROOM but they did it.

once vortech sees jackson racing become #1 from k series owners im sure they will get on the bandwagon.

ephatch member
    screw them, did you look at the price of their kits!

HA...yeah its expensive. thanks for the laugh :p

ephatch member

Wink

maybe they'll change their minds in in 6 months or so

thing is... a blower is belt driven... a blower MUST go somewhere on the OPPOSITE side of the stock airbox. which means they'd prolly have to design a custom intake manifold for us as well. i agree.. there isnt any room... just hold out for a turbo kit. we've TONS of room for a turbo... :D :D :D

actually it doesn't 'have' to. Some older civic applications use a rotating shaft that goes across the front of the engine to transfer power to a supercharger sitting on the opposite side

Green Lane, PA (home) / New Rochelle, NY (school)
    if they can't make a S/C because there isn't enough room, how can JR do it? they are coming out with one sometime this year.

Yup... from what I could tell at the Hondata dyno day out in Torrance one or two months ago, the JRSC replaced the entire intake manifold on the Si. Oscar Jackson was there and he basically said that the K-series install of a JRSC was a piece of cake when compared to the B-series.

IIRC, he said that if a JRSC was installed on a B-series by them it would take one or two days vs. a couple of hours to a day on the K-series. If there wasn't enough room in our bay or if it was overly tight, I don't think he would claim an install that quick.

Green Lane, PA (home) / New Rochelle, NY (school)
    sounds sweet. i'm definitely lookin into a JRSC

ssvr6
    Because Jackson uses a roots based blower instead of the "turbine" based one (the name slips my mind) like Vortech does. However, Vortech's blower can make more power than a roots model. What's good about the roots model is that it's all self contained and fairly easy to install and work with.

Installing a Vortech unit is like installing a turbo, only it's belt driven. (IMO)

Vortech will need to make a new manifold as well as putting the blower on the opposite side of the engine bay. If they run a shaft across the bay, it might be able to work. It's hard to say.

Here's the older Si's kit.

Adds 117 horsepower
    Adds 64 ft/lbs of torque
    8-9 PSIG
    Includes V-5 SQ G-Trim supercharger and Maxflow Powercooler
    Satin (020SQ) or Polish (028SQ) finish

Looks good to me.

Steve

ssvr6
    Since our car's mortor is basically "backwards" compared to the B-Series, we'd have to have the shaft run in the back and then hook up on the right to the manifold.

It might work.

Steve

Originally posted by ssvr6
    Because Jackson uses a roots based blower instead of the "turbine" based one (the name slips my mind) like Vortech does. However, Vortech's blower can make more power than a roots model. What's good about the roots model is that it's all self contained and fairly easy to install and work with.

Installing a Vortech unit is like installing a turbo, only it's belt driven. (IMO)

Vortech will need to make a new manifold as well as putting the blower on the opposite side of the engine bay. If they run a shaft across the bay, it might be able to work. It's hard to say.

Here's the older Si's kit.

Adds 117 horsepower
    Adds 64 ft/lbs of torque
    8-9 PSIG
    Includes V-5 SQ G-Trim supercharger and Maxflow Powercooler
    Satin (020SQ) or Polish (028SQ) finish

Looks good to me.

Steve
    I think the word you're searching for is "centrifugal blower"

which is basically the ccompressor wheel of turbo that is belt driven.

Where this is a will, there is a way - I'm certain that they could get a Vortech put into the 2002 si, but I think they're shying away due to lackluster interest in the kits they put out for the b-series motor.

I personally think the vortech blowers are great - they just need some modifications in order to equal the midrange power of the roots type blowers.

The huge advantage in adibatic efficency can be exploited easily, people just have to know how.

That Vortec seems to add a lot of horsepower, meaning a lot of hidden costs in internals. I dont see how a stock motor could handle that much.

JRSC are ususally tuned to work with the limits of stock internals, right? They go wrong when people muck with the pulleys to get some more boost.

I guess if you are just drag racing, a turbo might be better for you.

I think the key advantage to a SC is the useable range of low-end torque, especially for daily-driver.

However, for auto-x any FI engine mod will put you in a class that will demand some more seroius investments all around. Right now, our stock motor isn't the weak dog in its class, its a respectable contender.

Just some thoughts... I think JSRC is going to lead the way, but there's always comptech....

Vortech does the same thing, i.e., their systems are designed to work with a stock motor, and they carry CARB approval. You start dicking with it, and it will grenade your stock motor just like any other type of power adder.

I've had 4 Vortechs but those were on V-8s. I've never had one on a 4-banger. Not yet anyway. :) I'd pay for a Vortech because I know from experience that it is a properly designed and quality kit. Remember the old adage: You pay for what you get...

The difference between positive displacement (roots, etc.) and hair-dryers (centrifs) is WHERE it makes power. The roots makes its power from just off idle through the mid-range, falling off as rpm goes up and the unit looses efficiency. The hair-dryers start in the mid range and make max hp at the top of the tach.

As for a SC being better than a turbo: I guess it depends on the application. The turbo has less parasitic losses, better efficiency, and reaches max boost way sooner than a belt driven blower. I have driven both a 600 hp Saleen and a 450 hp RX-7 (very similar power to weight ratios), at Laguna Seca raceway and by far the RX was easier to go faster in. On corner exits, the boost in the RX was immediate. The Vortech can't make max boost until max rpm is achieved. It's a function of it being belt driven.

Just my $.02

Originally posted by Bill Miller
    Vortech does the same thing, i.e., their systems are designed to work with a stock motor, and they carry CARB approval. You start dicking with it, and it will grenade your stock motor just like any other type of power adder.

I've had 4 Vortechs but those were on V-8s. I've never had one on a 4-banger. Not yet anyway. :) I'd pay for a Vortech because I know from experience that it is a properly designed and quality kit. Remember the old adage: You pay for what you get...

The difference between positive displacement (roots, etc.) and hair-dryers (centrifs) is WHERE it makes power. The roots makes its power from just off idle through the mid-range, falling off as rpm goes up and the unit looses efficiency. The hair-dryers start in the mid range and make max hp at the top of the tach.

As for a SC being better than a turbo: I guess it depends on the application. The turbo has less parasitic losses, better efficiency, and reaches max boost way sooner than a belt driven blower. I have driven both a 600 hp Saleen and a 450 hp RX-7 (very similar power to weight ratios), at Laguna Seca raceway and by far the RX was easier to go faster in. On corner exits, the boost in the RX was immediate. The Vortech can't make max boost until max rpm is achieved. It's a function of it being belt driven.

Just my $.02
    ahh, but you can change the boost curve of a vortech if you were willing to put in the time and $$$. I'm looking for someone with a vortech with some $$$ to spare. I could transfom his blower into one that would make 10psi from 3000rpm on up. If you know of anyone in the atlanta area, let me know. Not many vortech mofos out here aside from domestic guys - who aren't much interested in boosting midrange b/c they already have so goddamned much. =P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information