Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hehe.... I used to be one of 'those guys'. Ya just gotta love 400+ lb/ft of torque anywhere above 3k. ;)

I just bailed out of a '01 Mustang Cobra (lightly modded of course) to zip around in my little SP. Gotta love the gas mileage!

Anyway, yes, the hair dryer can be modded to provide more boost early on, but the problem is that the boost doesn't stop there. It keeps climbing as a function of engine rpm. What you'd have to do is put a waste gate in the system, just like turbos use, to limit max boost. Not impossible, or even improbable, it would just require custom fabrication is all.

Believe it or not, I was actually considering doing this on the Cobra.

Originally posted by Bill Miller
    Hehe.... I used to be one of 'those guys'. Ya just gotta love 400+ lb/ft of torque anywhere above 3k. ;)

I just bailed out of a '01 Mustang Cobra (lightly modded of course) to zip around in my little SP. Gotta love the gas mileage!

Anyway, yes, the hair dryer can be modded to provide more boost early on, but the problem is that the boost doesn't stop there. It keeps climbing as a function of engine rpm. What you'd have to do is put a waste gate in the system, just like turbos use, to limit max boost. Not impossible, or even improbable, it would just require custom fabrication is all.

Believe it or not, I was actually considering doing this on the Cobra.
    we have a winner@!!!@!

while it's not really a worthwhile mod on a car that makes that much midrange to begin with, it would pay big dividends for a inline 4 which needs more midrange. You'd just install a waste gate on the intake manifold, and just size the pulley or use a gearbox to make the blower spin at it's peak RPM at the engine's peak RPM - most of the vortech blowers can make 20+ psi at peak blower rpm. So you can get 10psi at roughly 1/2 that rpm.

anyhow, even at peak blower rpm, the centrifugal blower has better thermal efficency, so at most boost levels, the charge is cooler than the same boost charge from a roots blower.

Originally posted by chunky

anyhow, even at peak blower rpm, the centrifugal blower has better thermal efficency, so at most boost levels, the charge is cooler than the same boost charge from a roots blower.
    Yessir that's correct. But even then, I'd figure out a way to fab a air-to-air aftercooler for the Vortech. Makes more power and is easier on the internals.

I likely won't mod this car, as I bought it primarily for it's utility (carries TWO golf bags!) and it's mileage. 'Course the cool interior and the seats may have contributed as well. :D If I do mod it, it won't be until the warranty is up, so maybe by then some parts will be available?

Hmmm...this thing might be a real gas on a autocross course. We'll see.

Originally posted by Bill Miller

Yessir that's correct. But even then, I'd figure out a way to fab a air-to-air aftercooler for the Vortech. Makes more power and is easier on the internals.

I likely won't mod this car, as I bought it primarily for it's utility (carries TWO golf bags!) and it's mileage. 'Course the cool interior and the seats may have contributed as well. :D If I do mod it, it won't be until the warranty is up, so maybe by then some parts will be available?

Hmmm...this thing might be a real gas on a autocross course. We'll see.
    the EP is awesome on the auto-x, check my thread in the auto-x forum, I posted some vids :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information