Close

Add a A2 oil cooler

The single biggest issue with adding the A2 oil cooler to the K20A3/K24A1,2,4 is sourcing the coolant. That allen plug deep in the coolant port is removed and the coolant pipe is inserted in it's place.

On the A2 there is a fitting that is bolted to the side of the block that would need to be machined into the other blocks(rubber "O" ring) and the large plug just seals the coolant port.

All that is needed is to purchase this from the S2k(same as what the K20A uses). The allen plug is shown to the right and the A2 plug on the bottom.

Then just add the A2 oil cooler, coolant passage and waterpump. Here is some comparison shots of the A2 and A3 coolant passageways. The A2 water pump does NOT pump the coolant to the oil cooler, it only passes thru the waterpump housing(in a seperate path than the rest of the coolant) on it's way BACK to the coolant system.

Or you can drill and tap the A3's coolant passage for a fitting at this location
    Last edited by talonXracer; 04-20-2008 at 12:44 AM.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

What cooler you going to run?

This is to adapt the K20A2 oil cooler to the A3 block without any machining to the block.

Adding any other style of oil cooler will have a detrimental impact on idle oil pressure IMHO. The K-series oil pumps are at the limit as far as volume/pressure goes and a standalone oil to air cooler will seriously tax the pump.

Legendary Ephatcher ep3moschini's Avatar
    glad to see you still have all of your information saved! Im hungry for more information from you!

1967 Firebird. . . Yeah its alright

Legendary Ephatcher

Heeey Talon!! Since your on a roll with the stickies, can you do one on the Ep vs. S2K vs. Prelude oil filter? Just a though..

Big time thanks Talon for saving me from having to machine the engine block, just finished my oil cooler install. The S2k part was on back order for a while but showed up in about 3 weeks. Fits perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    This is to adapt the K20A2 oil cooler to the A3 block without any machining to the block.

Adding any other style of oil cooler will have a detrimental impact on idle oil pressure IMHO. The K-series oil pumps are at the limit as far as volume/pressure goes and a standalone oil to air cooler will seriously tax the pump.

Ahh, got yeah, though you were going to add one with lines to the front of the car, and air cooled.

Quote Originally Posted by dobbs02si View Post
    Heeey Talon!! Since your on a roll with the stickies, can you do one on the Ep vs. S2K vs. Prelude oil filter? Just a though..

stick with the OEM sized filters(NOT HONDA's)

I use the M110 from Mobil1, I had used the M104(s2k filter) untill I seen the filter in action on the dyno. I watched that filter pulsate so much it caused me some concern. I installed a M110 and no more pulsating and the oil pressure rose a little as well.(both were new filters).

I had noticed alot of shots of S2k's that had hose clamps around the filter to provide more support for the filters exterior wall, now I know why!

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    stick with the OEM sized filters(NOT HONDA's)

I use the M110 from Mobil1, I had used the M104(s2k filter) untill I seen the filter in action on the dyno. I watched that filter pulsate so much it caused me some concern. I installed a M110 and no more pulsating and the oil pressure rose a little as well.(both were new filters).

I had noticed alot of shots of S2k's that had hose clamps around the filter to provide more support for the filters exterior wall, now I know why!
    Holly hell batman..didnt know that. Ok scratch the prelude filter idea..

I know this thread is old, but I'm going to ask anyway. I'm planning on building the bottom end of my a3 block and will be using either the a2 water pump to get the added benefit of the oil cooler. The only part I need besides the A2 water pump is P/N: 11107-pt2-000? Is there anything else required? I'm confused on where the large plug showing at the bottom of the picture goes.

Thread Information