Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

K20a3 block k20a2 head????

Ok im pretty much new to the k series . Nd it does not take much to knw the ep motor sucks. Sooo i was wounderin if its possible to keep my stock block nd swap the a2 head nd wat would be needed... Nd would i need to swap my tranny to a six speed nd change my wire harness.. Im planning on gettin k pro. So if anyone has done this or knws how to do this i would appreciate it

It's a waste of time. Do some reading around and you'll find that the k20a3 bottom end can't handle the high rev's. You'll be looking for a new bottom end sooner rather than later. The connecting rods are too weak, our oil pumps are too weak, and the rod journals are too small. You'll be picking pieces of block out of your oil pan.

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    You can definitely do that. The most whp you'll see NA is a touch over 200whp because of our low compression.

If you are bound and determined to do a K20a2 head on the K20a3 block, get a OBX or Private Label race header, any 2.5" ID exhaust, RSX Type S CAI (any brand), a Maxbore throttle body, RBC or RRC intake manifold, and a Z3 intake cam and Z1 exhaust cam (if you want to stay OEM). I guarantee that will put you OVER 200whp NA.

The other things I'd add would be a Mugen or Spoon head gasket (to bump compression, although you shrink your quench area) and a CRV final gear drive at 5.062. You're car will be much quicker than anybody expects it to be.

After getting Kpro, make sure to bump the rev limiter so you don't fall out of VTEC between shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsvtec View Post
    It's a waste of time. Do some reading around and you'll find that the k20a3 bottom end can't handle the high rev's. You'll be looking for a new bottom end sooner rather than later. The connecting rods are too weak, our oil pumps are too weak, and the rod journals are too small. You'll be picking pieces of block out of your oil pan.
    Higher weight oil, say Rotella synthetic 5w40 and 8200rpms is an easy target. Hell, Chunky, SuperchargedK20, and Gearhead Geek(the original a2 head swap) had rev limits above 8500rpms. Chunky did it daily for 160k, superchargedK20 for quite awhile (and was supercharged and cams swapped), and Gearhead Geek's car (literally the original K20a2 head swap Ep3 done in 2003) is still running at some dealership or with an individual somewhere. The myth that it's not a "good" mod is just that, a myth. If you're on a budget and can only get the K20a2 head. DO IT! then save up for a K24a1, throw it in your garage, and when you're K20a3 eventually dies (or you get bored with no torque), just use your K20a2 head. Plus the mechanical knowledge you'll get from head swapping is well worth the investment.
    Last edited by MugenReplica; 02-11-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Time for a little history lesson for those who haven't been around since 2002.....

*Honestly, the myth that the modification is not worth it, was perpetrated by a member named Anjapower.

-Starting back in early 2004, Gearhead Geek performed the first K20a2 head swap onto a K20a3 block.
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr......&highlight=

-After working out the bugs and realizing that the K20a2 ECU worked on a head swap, but just barely, he upgraded to Kpro.

-Anjapower, now a friend of Gearhead Geek, hits the drag strip with just a couple of modifications to see where it will take him.
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...rip&highlight=

- In early 2004 following Gearhead Geek's success, Anjapower contemplates the K20a2 head swap.
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...ne.&highlight=

-Mid to late 2004, Anjapower pays a mechanic to install the K20a2 head onto his K20a3 block.

-Desperate and needed a tune, Anjapower rushes to Innovative Tuning in Buffalo NY where Mike pulls an unprecedented 197whp on a k20a2 head swap.
    http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...ght=K20a2+head

-Late 2005, Anjapower parts out after what he calls disappointing 1/4 times of around 14.4 to 14.5 @ 95-97mph because he kept falling out of VTEC with a rev limit of only 7.7k and 8k (and later bumped to 8200rpms). After swapping the K20a3 head back onto the K20a3, he blows the engine.

-It goes viral through the forums that the K20a2 head swap is not worth the budget mod it should have become and it will blow K20a3s.

-Late 2006 or early 2007, Anjapower comes clean that he forgot to add coolant to his engine after he himself tried to swap the K20a3 head back onto his ep3 (remember he paid a mechanic to swap the head on). The K20a3's destruction was NOT because it couldn't take 8200rpms, but because it could NOT take a bone dry overheating engine.

If you believe the K20a3 can't handle modest revs (8.0k to 8.7k) for brief stints, PM superchargedK20, chunky, or Gearhead Geek.

Oh, swap an a2 oil pump in if you plan on longevity (50k+ miles) at repeated 8.2k revs or higher.

I hope that explains all of it.
    Last edited by MugenReplica; 02-11-2011 at 10:55 AM.

man your post was great gave me the whole history in 3 thanks for sharing

mmm...torque :D
    john--one of the few resident ep3 historians

you do learn something new everyday though--i definitely came from the 'its not worth it' camp due to anjapower's experience. i never got the back end of that piece of information.

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post
    Higher weight oil, say Rotella synthetic 5w40 and 8200rpms is an easy target. Hell, Chunky, SuperchargedK20, and Gearhead Geek(the original a2 head swap) had rev limits above 8500rpms. Chunky did it daily for 160k, superchargedK20 for quite awhile (and was supercharged and cams swapped), and Gearhead Geek's car (literally the original K20a2 head swap Ep3 done in 2003) is still running at some dealership or with an individual somewhere. The myth that it's not a "good" mod is just that, a myth. If you're on a budget and can only get the K20a2 head. DO IT! then save up for a K24a1, throw it in your garage, and when you're K20a3 eventually dies (or you get bored with no torque), just use your K20a2 head. Plus the mechanical knowledge you'll get from head swapping is well worth the investment.
    You're the man!
    Thanks for the correction, I guess I didn't know that many people had success with it. All l I had heard was other peoples failures. Personally, I would never bother revving the bottom end that high.

Good luck to you though! Make sure to post your build!

Quote Originally Posted by whatsvtec View Post
    You're the man!
    Thanks for the correction, I guess I didn't know that many people had success with it. All l I had heard was other peoples failures. Personally, I would never bother revving the bottom end that high.

Good luck to you though! Make sure to post your build!
    Hey man, glad I could help. I hope the post didn't come off as abrasive. I didn't mean to direct it at you.

I only meant to put the myth to rest. YES, a full K20a2/K20z1 swap is better, but a K20a2 head swap is not worthless, especially with the amount of parts (and tuning) that have become available since Anjapower did his swap. It is a reasonable swap for those on a budget or for those who just need a little bump in power. If you truly want decent OEM power though, upgrade to a K20a2/K24a1 frank swap.
    Last edited by MugenReplica; 02-11-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post
    Hey man, glad I could help. I hope the post didn't come off as abrasive. I didn't mean to direct it at you.

I only meant to put the myth to rest. YES, a full K20a2/K20z1 swap is better, but a K20a2 head swap is not worthless, especially with the amount of parts (and tuning) that have become available since Anjapower did his swap. It is a reasonable swap for those on a budget or for those who just need a little bump in power. If you truly want decent OEM power though, upgrade to a K20a2/K24a1 frank swap.

No offense taken at all! Knowledge is power, and we all know our little k20a3's can use all the power they can get

So, to the OP. Do you already have a head lined up for the swap? How much do you think it's gonna cost you to get everything in and running?

way to go john!

btw, a quick search could have helped get the OP started. ;-)
    EPHATCH.COM 4 LYFE!! OFF THA CHAIN KREW #1

udontknowjack's mom was here....twice!

UPDATED SITE INFO!

Want to become a Site Sponsor? Click Here!

PM for HELP!!

tigerballz did it and he got into a magazine....tho he had many other stuff done to it :)

LOL

A myth that it is "not good" is just that a myth. Does it make as much whp as complete A2, NOPE not close, but it does make more than a stock A3 head. It is VERY doubtfull you will pop over 200whp unless you use Churchs Dyno.

Kpro is essential, attempting to run a stock A2 ECU will create a dog that a bolt-on equipped A3 will walk all day long every day!

I was going to go that route but when all the costs are figured out the complete A2 swap was the same price
    Last edited by T_Virus; 12-22-2008 at 03:08 PM.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

daaamn bro thats exactly wat imma dooo nd strip some weight.. Damn ur a big help haha ur on game. Another question nd if i went turbo with this block wat would that perform like nd wat do u suggest i should add or take out.. Nd i was wounderin if i take my cruse control out wat would that help in or not???

And wat would i need to do the k24 frank. I seen people boosting on that motor nd makin big numbers how do u get that started

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information