Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How To: Install Cigarette Lighter in Dash near Shifter

Hey,

This is a guide for installing a cigarette lighter in your dash right next to your shifter. Please note that it was my first install ever that needed taping into a wire and I really suck at customizing thing esthetically, I only want it to work. So that being said, you must not take anything that I wrote as the right way to do it.

It is also needed to modify a little bit the center console(using sandpaper) for the lighter to fit into and you have 2 choice of how you want to fit it. One being the fastest, easiest and less chance of failing I call it the DIY version and the other would be the OEM fitting version needing alot more precision and sanding.

Whats needed :

Pictured :
    -Cuter
    -Long noise
    -Scissors
    -~10ft of Gauge 18 Electrical wire. Mine was of stranded type.
    ~5$ for 25ft
    -2x Wire Tap Connector 22-18 gauge. There is some type of connector for 14-18gauge but it might be too loose.
    ~3$
    -2x « Female Disconnects »
    ~3$
    -Sharpie pen for identifyin your cables
    -2x Zip-tie to hold the tap connector better

Not Pictured :
    -Electrical Tape
    -60grid Sandpaper (less than 2’’ square) or a round shaped file
    -Honda Cigar Lighter Assembly. : Part# 08U96-S9A-101
    ~30$ shipped to you at online honda dealer
    It was written « CRV » on mine… Doesn’t really mater

DIY :
    Remove the center console to enlarge the hole with a sandpaper or file.

Enlarge the hole until you can insert the black bracket into it without having to force it to enter but don’t slack it. If you force the Bracket in you might crack the silver cover…

Now this is where you have the choice to go the DIY way or the OEM way. At this point you probably noticed the black bracket doesn’t fit entirely into the hole, the clips suposed to hold it doesn’t go enough far for a « secure » holding.

So going the DIY way, just leave it there like that and put the lighter in or apply some glue on the bracket to hold it more then put the lighter in. Easiest and simplest way of modding the dash.

It will still look pretty good, like this :

Now since I had a spair silver cover in a not so good shape I decided to sand it more so it can fit perfectly tight and clip like a OEM would have done… For that you need to sand the « outer » circle of the Hole so the bracket can fit tight in it.

Please be very careful if you do it because the dash piece is easily scrachable and this might lead to awful looking afterward. But like I said I tried it since it was a spair cover and failed to not scratch it lol.

Test fit the bracket by puting it inside by the other side so you don’t clip it everytime and loose the clip.

After like 30 mins of sanding (maybe more) you’ll have a perfect OEM looking fit or a perfect OEM looking fail :D (I’m not to proud of the final result so didn’t take picture lol)

Once you have fitted the bracket like you want, we now have to wire it.

FIRST : Disconnect the Neutral(-) on your battery!

I decided to tap my wire directly at the OEM 12v power source we have just below our shifter. You first need to take out the cover. Mine was pretty loose and I only put my finger inside the hole and pulled it. Be somewhat gentle here because you’ll only have like 1’’ of cable loose. Remove the connector from the plug by pushing the fastener on it. (It’s hidded under it, you dont see it).

Here’s the back of the cover, showing the clip.

Once you have it out, you’ll need to unclip the wire by poping out this fasterner :

Once it’s done, start feeding you wire into the hole. If you tape both of them together with electrical tape to protect them, it will be safer like this to not damage the cable during the process. Be SURE to identify them with the sharpie pen BEFORE feeding them in the hole and/or putting electrical tape on them.

I made them go through a little hole at the right of the shifter base :

Now once it’s done, make one end with the Female Connector and use the Tap Connector and tap wire together at the other end. I put zip-tie on my connector because they were of shitty quality and looked like the would open by themself.

Plug the cigarette lighter by pluging the cable the same way than the OEM one. I used Electrical tape around the connector at the lighter because I though they were too near of each other. Put at least 1 turn on each so they will not short.

Now reassemble everything back together(don’t forget your battery) and enjoy your new lighter/dash look! I think it will only work when your keys are at ACC

Hope you liked it :) If you see anything I made that is dangerous or not safe please advice me and everyone here!

Thank you

EDIT: I am going to sleep now haha
    Last edited by Jmage; 03-27-2012 at 05:53 PM.

i probably would of put a fuse on the hot side. but other than that not too bad. though i don't smoke lol.

Quote Originally Posted by apexracing View Post
    i probably would of put a fuse on the hot side. but other than that not too bad. though i don't smoke lol.
    Thanks,

Adding a fuse is still doable, you have enough place around the shifter to put one. I think smoking in the USA is starting to get old school and less common. But anyway the unused space is actually for a cigarette lighter by design lol

UKDM Y0!
    nice install

luckily in the UK, we already have a cigarette lighter there, and where your 12v port is, we have a slide out ashtray lol

Yeah the American cars require you to throw the butts and stuff out the window............
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    Yeah the American cars require you to throw the butts and stuff out the window............
    Hurray for littering!?
    Cigarettes are probably one of the most commonly polluted items in the country I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsvtec View Post
    Hurray for littering!?
    Cigarettes are probably one of the most commonly polluted items in the country I agree.
    I wasnt saying hurray for littering, just pointing out that social engineering(smoking cessation) thru manipulation of ancillary products(removing ashtrays) usually fails miserably and creates even larger problems.

Another big example of this was the so called "Yacht tax" passed years ago, well that legislation had immediate effects, 25,000 lost manufacturing jobs and 75,000 supporting jobs lost and 2.4 billion in total lost tax revenue for the Govt within half a decade.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Quote Originally Posted by stephenmcc View Post
    nice install

luckily in the UK, we already have a cigarette lighter there, and where your 12v port is, we have a slide out ashtray lol
    Man I wich we got these on our cars. Sliding ashtray are neat and discret!

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    loll it is actually a fact!

you forget that the cigarette light doubles as a 12v source right?

so its not completely useless if you're a nonsmoker

Where exactly did u order the lighter assembly for $20.

All the online places I check all want $30.

UKDM Y0!
    Id Love To Get Rid Of My Ashtray... lol it only holds coins at the minute lol

hm...looking at the first picture...i think you had the clips facing the wrong way...theres two tabs vertically that are suppose to attache to the clips
    but you had the clips horizontal....

Quote Originally Posted by tqk View Post
    All the online places I check all want $30.
    Just checked and you're right. I got it for 27$.... My ashtray was 18$ loll Sorry about that, I'll edit my post :)

Quote Originally Posted by NEO_FOLLOWER2 View Post
    hm...looking at the first picture...i think you had the clips facing the wrong way...theres two tabs vertically that are suppose to attache to the clips
    but you had the clips horizontal....
    Hmm, what do you mean in the first picture? I only shot them to show them lol they can't really be upside down while on a table :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jmage View Post
    Just checked and you're right. I got it for 27$.... My ashtray was 18$ loll Sorry about that, I'll edit my post :)

Hmm, what do you mean in the first picture? I only shot them to show them lol they can't really be upside down while on a table :P
    third picture sry lol

Quote Originally Posted by NEO_FOLLOWER2 View Post
    third picture sry lol
    Are you sure about this? I tried many way and the bracket was held at the top by the "bigger" circle so can't push it further. I did try to put the clips toward the tabs but it put more pressure on it and I didn't want it to force...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information