Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How To: Install Buddy Club Short Shifter (BCSS)

Here's my repost to my old How To I made for the BCSS. It should take you about 30 minutes to do and it's kinda easy when you know what you're doing. I learned it the hard way and done it in 1h30 when I did mine (and took picture for the How To)

REPOST:

Here is the long awaited Buddyclub Shortshifter DIY. This is an EPHATCH.com exclusivity and I hope everyone will enjoy it!*:D

First of all, this is my first post ever on EPHATCH, I didn’t wanted to introduce myself before doing this DIY and because I don’t have clean picture of my car*too :P I’ from Quebec, Canada and I speak French as my «*original*» language, so I apologize if something I can be difficult to understand.

This installation took me aprox. 1h30 but didn’t have nothing to help me like a DIY like this one*:D By following all my advise you should do it in less than 45 minutes.
    For those who cussed alot with the shift cables, there is a «*trick*» I found about turning the shift cable easier. See step 7 of this DIY for the info.
    Ok let’s start it.

Step 1*– You need to remove the Shifter panel, to do so, put your finger inside the shift boot and pull the bottom out. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN PULLING IT OUT!!!! I can’t say it enough , BE CAREFUL! If you put to much pressure the wrong way you’ll fold the plastic panel. See by yourself, you don’t want this to hapen to you!

This is where you put your fingers to pull out the panel*:

Step 2*– This his what you see after the panel has been taken out*:

Step 3*- You will need to remove the screws in #1 (there is 2) and take off the metal bracket that is holding the Headunit panel. After unscrewing the screw, pull the plastic panel up so you can move the metal bracket out of it.

Step 4 – Now untight the bolt in #2, this can be a little hard since you don’t have much room to unscrew them. DO NOT REMOVE THEM as they only hold in place the bracket and you can pull it out with the screws still in it.

Step 5 – After the 2 screws are untighted, you’ll be able to remove the AC/Headunit panel by pulling it out, these screws are the only one holding it. Again BE CAREFUL while removing it, you don’t want to scratch your interior with the metal bracket you have loosen in step 4

This is the hole you’ll work inside for replacing your shifter*:

6 – Unclip the shifter cable by removing the little metal clip. You can hold the sides and push it down. BE CAREFUL to not drop those little thing because I’m not sure you’ll be able to find them in this hole.

7 – Now here is the tricky part I was talking about in the beginning of this tutorial. This is the part I was cussin for about 45 minutes. This is a real PITA if you don’t know what you’re doing! First, you’ll need a big long screwdriver, I use a «*Star*» type because a Flathead wasn’t holding in place when I applyed the pressure. Use the shifter base as a lever (it’s strong enough to support all the force you could put, thrust me*:D) and force the little bracket to rotate COUNTERCLOCK. When you put enough pressure you will feel and hear a «*TOCK*» and you’ll see the shift cable bracket loosen. This is the trick, force counterclock wise until you «*Unlock*» the cable. Then continue to turn counterclock wise until it come out by itself. Do the same for each sides.

8 – Ok after all that cussin, you took out the shifter cables. Now you can unscrew the bolts of the shifter base, these are the 4 «*golden*» bolts holding the shifter. There are only 4 bolts holding it and nothing will fall down if you remove them. You can now remove the shifter base and put the new one in place. Screw the 4 bolts back on the new shifter and then redo all the steps in reverse order and you’ll be done! (See step 9 and 10 for some hints)
    Here are both shifter side to side. The one with the blue thing on top is the Buddyclub ShoftShifter.

9 – I thought that greasing the base of the shifter would help put the cable back in. I didn’t try before greasing so I cannot tell if this is necessary. To put the shiftercable back in do the same thing as in step 7 but apply the force CLOCKWISE not counterclock, and the cable should take is place by itself. Maybe some cussin evolved in this process too.

10 – To put the shifter cable clip back on I used some grip because they were not cliped inside properly.

11 – Here the final result, AWEFUL look with stock shifter, gotta change the shift knob soon*:D

UPDATE (2011):
    Here's my TWM Type R shiftknob with there shift boot adapter:

Wayyyyy better now hehe

Have fun guys

Found this in my Photobucket account:

Should help alot to understand the fitting

I tried the flatblade screwdriver trick first, but found that a small pair of needle-nosed pliers was easier to keep attached to the cable lock (I didn't try the "Torx" type screwdriver).

You should mention that you will need a box of band-aids. They should give them to you with the BCSS...

Good write-up!
    Last edited by Twisted-X; 05-06-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-X View Post
    I tried the flatblade screwdriver trick first, but found that a small pair of needle-nosed pliers was easier to keep attached to the cable lock (I didn't try the "Torx" type screwdriver).

You should mention that you will need a box of band-aids. They should give them to you with the BCSS...

Good write-up!
    Some people said it worked perfectly with a small pry bar too. As for the bandaid they might be necessary as many people cutted thereself in the process you're right loll

I guess I fucked up my install, lol.

When I was re-installing the shifter cables in place, I turned the locking pieces counterclockwise all the way until they slid back into the BCSS. The cables don't move or anything, but should I still be worried??

You should be okay as long as the cables doesn't move out of the "socket" and as long as your shifts feels right. I wrote counterclock wise because thats the way i got them out. I dont think it really change something if you break nothing while doing it.

just installed this...i also didnt turn mine clockwise...ill probably recheck it once i take it apart again to put in new lights in my center console

bump for people who are buying bcss now
    Last edited by robotichatch; 02-17-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Mine is very stiff. Normal? In order for it to go back to the center I have to manually move it. Before it centered by it self

Not normal. The shifter should move to center once pulled out of gear. You may have a pinched cable somewhere, or a problem with the centering spring on the shifter.

Dang. I took it off and reinstalled it again and same thing. I did notice when its not hooked to the shifter cables the shifter doesn't center sometimes so I guess the spring as you stated. BTW great instructions!

So I figured it out. I noticed that both plastic caps are not broken in. So I popped them off put the honda ones that are worn in and it worked! And also greased the spring and now it has more force.
    Last edited by vbpracer; 02-17-2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Added pics of sideskirts

I had trouble with those caps back when I installed mine. I remember them taking quite a bit of force to get them on and seated properly.

EDIT:
    BTW big congrats to all the guys that are getting a BCSS after they restarted production! Felt bad for all the folks that missed out when they stopped production, glad Buddy Club saw the light!

Quote Originally Posted by BeaterEP View Post
    I had trouble with those caps back when I installed mine. I remember them taking quite a bit of force to get them on and seated properly.

EDIT:
    BTW big congrats to all the guys that are getting a BCSS after they restarted production! Felt bad for all the folks that missed out when they stopped production, glad Buddy Club saw the light!
    Thanks. I feel bad for ssr&thmotorsports. Lol they been trying so hard to get them and corsport shipped them out free and next day delivery for me.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using TapaTalk Version 1.12.5c!

Nice to see that my DIY will be used again lol Posted like after the BCSS was discontinued.

From what I heard about the "new" bcss is they have be revised, are they the same shifters?

Really? Hadn't heard that, in for information though.
    Wonder what, if any, changes they made?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information