Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K24a Swap info.

K24a Swap info.

My friends and I did a k24a2 swap last weekend, heres whats fresh off the top of my head...
    (original thread by: sinistercivicsi)

Things to buy:

2004 CRV passenger side mount
    Throttle Body Gaskets
    Exhaust manifold gaskets

www.slhonda.com, or the honda e-store.

Things to swap:
    Ep3 THERMOSTAT/HOUSING and O-Ring GASKET(s)
    EP3 KNOCK SENSOR!!
    Ep3 Alternator
    Ep3 Starter
    etc...

One main trouble on the k24 swaps is overheating due to bubbles in the radiator and hose.

To fix this problem (ie: bleed the system)

1)turn heat/ac on full blast
    2) start the car to normal idling temperature.
    3) Jack the front of the car way up (tires off the ground at LEAST)
    4) Open the radiator cap and allow the car to "burp"

coolant will gush out of the cap as you open it, but after that it should be okay. At least, it was in my case.

CONFIRMED: stock swaybar fits with EP3 header.

CONFIRMED: the RBB TSX manifold fits into the Ep3 with about 1"-2" clearance from the Radiator support. But you definitely need the KARCEPTS adapter for it to work with the EP3 throttle Body.
    Last edited by chubbychu; 09-21-2009 at 04:26 PM.
    Formerly known as Plainol2k2si

ephatch member
    can i use the ep im?? would i loose power??

Quote Originally Posted by arthur View Post
    can i use the ep im?? would i loose power??
    YOU CAN use the EP intake manifold for the TSX swap, but you have a coolant passage and another port to block off. This is acheived with the hasport intake manifold adapter. People have done several things to block off the coolant port.

1) being to tap it and route it back to where it would normally go. or weld it shut. The latter being kind of an outdated method. People dont usually weld it shut anymore because of potential leaks or other problems. Its a better idea to let the coolant flow anyways.

2) being to usethe RBB (tsx) manifold or the RBC (accord type-r, 07 civic si), These two intake manifolds incorperate the coolant port and the other one.

As far as power...I think what people are saying is that the Ep3 manifold (PRB) would be a all around budget manifold and not only that but you have to do that extra work with the open ports.

Youde be better off getting the RBB manifold or the RBC. The RBC being much better in the top end because of its short fat runners. The RBB has long skinny tubes which produces more torque than the RBC under 2000-3000 rpm.

People opt for the RBC but thats the one that costs the most :D cheers.

Just a quick note about intake fitments with the RBB manifold.

I bought a RSX Type-S intake, with the idea that hopefully on some miracle it would fit with the RBB manifold in the EP3 chassis. That was stupid eh! So yeah, The RBB manifold wont be able to support ANY AEM-Injen style aftermarket COLD AIR intake because of the way the RBB manifold mounts the Ep Throttle body.

the RBB mounts the throttle body pointing up, so it just doesnt connect at all because the cold air intakes need to go down under the battery holder.

Short air intakes mount up fine because of the flexibility of mounting within the engine bay.

Alright thats the update.

You cant simply weld the coolant port shut. If you weld it, you must reroute a hot coolant source into the thermostat opening. If you don't your car wont circulate coolant through the system and you WILL overheat.

The easiest way to use an EP manifold is to buy a Tap and the proper fittings. You can also upgrade from the get go and buy an RBC + Karcepts kit. ^^^=Recommended
    Your most reliable source for K24 swap help and warrantied/papered K24 longblocks. Serving the K-community since 2004.

The Evolution:
    2003 Ep3 - K24A1/K20Z3 Hybrid - currently under the knife
    2001 S2000 - Stock and loving it
    1987 Buick T-Type WE4 - The BEAST

:D

for everyone searching for information:

from my reading and gathering of knowledge around clubrsx.com, k20a.org, ivtec.net, ephatch.com etc etc, There is SOOOO much debate about the RBC.

First of all, I think you have to trim a good portion of the radiator support for RBC to fit in the ep3. 2nd, unless you can utilize the rev range optimization of the RBC, youll see losses in bottom end compared to the RBB manifold

People from both ends of the spectrum have something to say about the RBC. So good luck

The RBC manifold IS the same thing as the k20z3 (FG Si)'s manifold. The Fg head I Believe incorperates the coolant port. but their part number is RRB. therefore RRB=RBC. :D I hope this is all correct. feel free to edit. thanks!

Question

Newbie question:

Does the K24A2 have the oil cooler thing under the oil filter? If so, do you have to use the Type-S radiator?

Thanks

k24a2 supercharged civicsibaby04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-X View Post
    Newbie question:

Does the K24A2 have the oil cooler thing under the oil filter? If so, do you have to use the Type-S radiator?

Thanks
    no oil cooler on a k24a2. i dont see why you would have to use a type s rad.

I see. For some reason I was thinking that the oil cooler ran through the bottom part of the radiator like it does on some cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-X View Post
    I see. For some reason I was thinking that the oil cooler ran through the bottom part of the radiator like it does on some cars.
    Nope :D

Quote Originally Posted by chubbychu View Post
    Just a quick note about intake fitments with the RBB manifold.

I bought a RSX Type-S intake, with the idea that hopefully on some miracle it would fit with the RBB manifold in the EP3 chassis. That was stupid eh! So yeah, The RBB manifold wont be able to support ANY AEM-Injen style aftermarket COLD AIR intake because of the way the RBB manifold mounts the Ep Throttle body.

the RBB mounts the throttle body pointing up, so it just doesnt connect at all because the cold air intakes need to go down under the battery holder.

Short air intakes mount up fine because of the flexibility of mounting within the engine bay.

Alright thats the update.
    old thread but needed answers. search but couldn't find anything... i just swaped the k24a2 motor and using the tsx rbb intake manifold but couldn't use the ep3 stock air box. so the question is, what intake to i get? i was thinking of getting a sri but what kind/model because of the situation im in? thanks in advance...

for a second i thought this thread was complete, but wow nevermind

i guess its gonna be a modified ep3 sri or make one. ill try to make one so im going to autozone tomorrow.

My friends and I did a k24a2 swap last weekend, heres whats fresh off the top of my head...

Things to buy:

Throttle Body Gaskets
    Exhaust manifold gaskets

Things to swap:
    EP3 KNOCK SENSOR!!
    Ep3 Alternator
    Ep3 Starter
    etc...

One main trouble on the k24 swaps is overheating due to bubbles in the radiator and hose.

coolant will gush out of the cap as you open it, but after that it should be okay. At least, it was in my case.

CONFIRMED: the RBB TSX manifold fits into the Ep3 with about 1"-2" clearance from the Radiator support. But you definitely need the KARCEPTS adapter for it to work with the EP3 throttle Body.
    great info
    bringing it back from the dead because I will be doing this in the next week or 2 once I get all the parts that I need

Things to buy:

Throttle Body Gaskets
    Exhaust manifold gaskets

Things to swap:
    EP3 KNOCK SENSOR!!
    Ep3 Alternator
    Ep3 Starter
    etc...

What is the etc??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information