Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Valve Cover Breather filter

This thread will probably cause a nice discussion.

IF YOU ARE NATURALLY ASPIRATED, DO NOT install a filter on the VC like below.

It sure does look alot nicer than stock, but it will INTRODUCE moisture into the engine. The heater element that is placed there heats the air up removing the moisture as the air travels back and forth from engine pulses. This moisture can be seen as RUST on the cam shafts and a milkie deposit in the intake mani(from PCV) After a long time the moisture will settle in the engine oil as well.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

I dont have anything on mine is this bad?

thats illegal in cali.

good info again doug!

Quote Originally Posted by civictype_r04 View Post
    I dont have anything on mine is this bad?
    it should connect to your intake

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    This thread will probably cause a nice discussion.

IF YOU ARE NATURALLY ASPIRATED, DO NOT install a filter on the VC like below.

It sure does look alot nicer than stock, but it will INTRODUCE moisture into the engine. The heater element that is placed there heats the air up removing the moisture as the air travels back and forth from engine pulses. This moisture can be seen as RUST on the cam shafts and a milkie deposit in the intake mani(from PCV) After a long time the moisture will settle in the engine oil as well.
    What if you leave that hoop thingy heater element on there? Will it still f*ck with it?

I read that the tube is there so the gasses from the valve cover dont reach the atmosphere and instead get sucked back into the motor and burns them up. It said nothing about sucking in any air. I know ive argued before with you on this, but i still dont believe that any air gets sucked into the VC, just blown out. Arggg!!!!

The heat from the engine , in a envroment of humidity will build condensation in the valve cover and it will do it more around the OPEN area of the valve cover because thats were cooler air is going into the valve cover to be turned into water. THUS this breather is the place its going in.

Quote Originally Posted by dashehonda View Post
    What if you leave that hoop thingy heater element on there? Will it still f*ck with it?

I read that the tube is there so the gasses from the valve cover dont reach the atmosphere and instead get sucked back into the motor and burns them up. It said nothing about sucking in any air. I know ive argued before with you on this, but i still dont believe that any air gets sucked into the VC, just blown out. Arggg!!!!

You need several inches of tubing between the heater, the intake and VC. This air pulses in and out with the crank motion and from blowby(at low map pressures), the PCV evacuates the crankcase(and VC) as the engine rises in RPM, load and cam advance. This draw of air from the crankcase into the mani has to come from somewheres and that is the VC breather line.

Breather implies inhalation and exhalation

The Kseries uses a different designed PCV system than most engines have.

I have already told you that sitting there at idle and flicking the idle will not change the cam advance(unless car is moving). And unless there is a load on the engine, the intake mani pressure will not rise enough to provide the draw from the PCV system that is seen when there is a load(it stays in the same map column as idle if you watch a datalog)
    Last edited by talonXracer; 04-21-2008 at 06:31 AM.

you know this gives me a very good idea on why i have been getting the milky buildup in my catch can. talon knows about the issue i had (my old name was SaxmanUSMC). the thing is i do not run a breather filter like that. but the description of the condensation in the valve cover would definatly explain it. i still cant figure out though why i would be getting this having hose clamps around all the hoses

Quote Originally Posted by BlownSi05 View Post
    you know this gives me a very good idea on why i have been getting the milky buildup in my catch can. talon knows about the issue i had (my old name was SaxmanUSMC). the thing is i do not run a breather filter like that. but the description of the condensation in the valve cover would definatly explain it. i still cant figure out though why i would be getting this having hose clamps around all the hoses
    If the heater section is removed you will have condensation in the VC as well. The heater is what actually preheats the incoming air so that condensation doesnt form.
    The "newer" design Kseries engines, aka 2nd gen, have the coolant port on the end of the head like the K24A2, K24A4, K20Z3 etc, also they have a thinner and much longer heater section to accomplish this faster and better.

so the heater section im assuming is the little piece that connects the breather to the intake? it has two little hoses coming out of it and you can hook a hose on either side. right now its just flopping around down there. is that what you are talking about as the heater?

Quote Originally Posted by BlownSi05 View Post
    so the heater section im assuming is the little piece that connects the breather to the intake? it has two little hoses coming out of it and you can hook a hose on either side. right now its just flopping around down there. is that what you are talking about as the heater?
    Yep that is the heater section.

Quote Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
    thats illegal in cali.
    Thats illegal in Ontario too

well, that solves that little mystery. guess i will be out tonight cutting the hose and placing that back in

When i bough my Greddy turbo kit, there was a Carbing oil catch can with it. The kit was used and it was missing alot of part like the e-manage and the manifold so i'm selling it and going n/a route. I wanted to install the catch can but this thread makes me think i should not. Here is the catch can

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information