Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Helpful K20A info

Just incase someone hasn't read this and would like to see inside the K20A:
    http://asia.vtec.net/article/k20a/index.html

Not specifically the Si setup, but very interesting, and good diagrams.

EXCELLENT THREAD!! great place for learning the i-vtec technology.!! and the Kseries engines...

-Joe

STICKIED! :)

BlasTech, did you babblefish that? Came out really nice. Great info resource. tks.;)

Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
    BlasTech, did you babblefish that? Came out really nice. Great info resource. tks.;)
    Nope, TOVA puts those articles together.
    http://asia.vtec.net/

Really good stuff.

wonder how much a cam swap from the type-s would run? and is there much if any tooling required?

Good question. Sort of an extension of the thread on head swaps. One side of the debate says why fool around with taking a motor apart and swapping heads when a complete motor swap is so easy (& comes with a 6-speed). The other argument is the possibility of big horsepower gains for less money than a complete motor swap. I am very interested in the possibilities of swapping cams/head as a way to do it for less $$.

Doug Meis

Thanks Doug, sorta the way I like to look at what is reasonable and cost effective as well. Cams are so sweet and prolly not as complex as other swaps. Would be willing to do this. definitely. and show how I did it. Am liking next years mods already. :D

One thing to keep in mind is Hondata is working on a flash program for the RSX-S with ITR cams!
    Check here for details:
    http://www.hondata.com/k20arelease.html

Although this is for the RSX-S, how hard can it be to convert a K20A3 to the K20A2 valvetrain?

Stay tuned!

"how hard can it be to convert a K20A3 to the K20A2 valvetrain?

Stay tuned!"

Agreed! --:) Im just waiting for the moment when someone in the import industry is going to release a break through for the k series something along the lines of interchangeabilitly of parts between the K series! ---I just wish i could be the one with enough bank account backing to reveal this.. --:)

3 stage?

Can someone explain the 3 stage vtec? Does each stage engage at a different RPM? This is confusing.

Re: 3 stage?

Originally posted by i-WERKS
    Can someone explain the 3 stage vtec? Does each stage engage at a different RPM? This is confusing.
    1st stage (in the pic) representing the valve lift from the intake cam. Each valve rides independantly one their separate lobes, one valve is only slightly open to increase torque by creating a swirl effect inside the cylinder. This occurs below 2200 rpm for improved emmissions.

2nd stage shows both valves engaged through the vtec solenoid to ride on the lower profile cam lobe. (A2 has independant cam lobes for each lower profile lift) This occurs after 2200 rpm

3rd stage is high lift profile where both intake valves are made to ride off of the large cam lobe. This occurs after 4800 rpm and disengages at 4600 rpm. (or there abouts)

Hope that helps.;)

Nail-batter Moderator SiR Medic's Avatar
    That page is an excellent find!

Kinda weird to know how our engine works in such detail.

Re: Re: 3 stage?

1st stage ...

2nd stage ... This occurs after 2200 rpm

3rd stage is high lift profile where both intake valves are made to ride off of the large cam lobe. This occurs after 4800 rpm and disengages at 4600 rpm. (or there abouts)

Hope that helps.;)
    I thought we didn't have a 3rd stage? I thought our motor operated in the same manner as the base RSX. Hondata's site has a pretty good description of the base RSX motor & shows that it does not have a high lift "3rd stage".

Hope this clarifies things. I got this pic from the dealers database on the 02 SiR. These are our cams. Hondata is only putting the emphasis on 2 lobes because the third is considered economical and is only engaged when your ride is below 2200 rpms. (or The base RSX!!!! is being refered to) A better question is how much if any work is required to get these cams switched. I suspect little tooling to go to type-s. The recent Head and block that was offered for sale with the number 1 cylinder blown, was without cams, for good reason I suspect. Some lucky guy got to them first.;)

Thanks Joe,
    That's good to know. It's also good to know that Hondata is working on it. If the cylinder head flows well enough, we could get a lot of benefit from increased revs and the s-type cam. Hondata's site talks about the RSX K20A3 head not flowing very well compared to the A2. I hope ours is different.

I just work here. thank Joe for the sticky bud.:D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information