Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sell

1 5.26%
  • Swap

18 94.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Swap or new car? Opinions?

My car is getting up there in the miles (broke 120,000 mi today) and with never having switched out the clutch and some major servicing upon me I'm wondering if I should swap or spend that money on a new car instead. Paying a shop to do all that maintenance/clutch/other k20a3 crap seems like a bad investment.

Decision factors:
    • I'm in Southern California and I drive my car ~30 miles daily so reliability and legitimacy are tied for #1 as far as importance goes
    • I'm no racer, but would enjoy a little extra oomph (real vtec, k20a2/z1)
    • EP is paid off = currently no car payments (new car = car payments for at least three years and I'd almost rather be saving for a house instead)
    • EP paint looks like it is 120,000 miles old. Could also probably use some re-aligning of the panels and an engine bay cleansing
    • Reliable shop right around the corner from my apartment can do a swap for a decent price and will go out of their way to scavenge for parts if needed
    • New Si's are nice, and would probably be what I would go for but are hard to find in decent condition for under $15,000

What do you guys think? For those that have swapped, how happy were you in your decision and would you do it again?

I appreciate the input

swap it.

no payments+swap>new car
    PSN: theehuggybear

i ask myself this same question everyday

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    Yeah I think this comes back to what you'd prefer to pay for. If you were to create a budget for turning your EP into a new car (and I'm not talking about a Mugen grille), it would end up costing you far less than 3 years worth of payments. Just itemize a list of what it's going to take to recondition your baby and start from there. Don't let it become a money pit, but give it the attention it deserves after having gone 120k.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

Greenwood Village, Colorado, United States
    do neither.. just do the maintenance. 120K, clutch and the accessory belt, maybe the valve lashing would be all you need. Most shops will install a new clutch for 400 or so. Including buying the clutch, install and the other stuff you are probably at 1000. Just have that "reliable shop" do the work. WAY cheaper than swapping or buying a new car. Then save for your house.
    mods:

Stuff

Swap it if you have to choose. Death to all car payments!

Thank you all for chiming in.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowEP3 View Post
    swap it.

no payments+swap>new car
    haha that equation makes sense for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by SOOPERIOR View Post
    i ask myself this same question everyday
    It sucks. What motor are you thinking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Draw7Seven View Post
    Yeah I think this comes back to what you'd prefer to pay for. If you were to create a budget for turning your EP into a new car (and I'm not talking about a Mugen grille), it would end up costing you far less than 3 years worth of payments. Just itemize a list of what it's going to take to recondition your baby and start from there. Don't let it become a money pit, but give it the attention it deserves after having gone 120k.
    Good point about a budget for turning the EP into a new car, but one thing about that is that underneith it all, it's still an 8 year old car lol. The thing about that list is I would look at it against the trade in value of my EP, and put that -- in addition to the EP money -- towards a new ride. Payments wouldn't be that bad, but they'd be payments nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by dj addicted View Post
    do neither.. just do the maintenance. 120K, clutch and the accessory belt, maybe the valve lashing would be all you need. Most shops will install a new clutch for 400 or so. Including buying the clutch, install and the other stuff you are probably at 1000. Just have that "reliable shop" do the work. WAY cheaper than swapping or buying a new car. Then save for your house.
    Good point. Yep I got told about a grand for the maintenance. But then at the end of the day the car is still relatively the same and I'd like to upgrade some way or another if possible. This definitely is an option though.

Quote Originally Posted by CHASEEE View Post
    Swap it if you have to choose. Death to all car payments!
    Yep, I saved and then paid for the EP in full while in college. Best choice I ever made but in those days I wasn't paying rent haha

post picture of ur ep3 for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Distance View Post
    post picture of ur ep3 for reference.
    Sure. Not a great pic but you get the point:

CTR front, 04-05 sides, AEM SRI, CE28N's, Mugen SS yada yada

I say swap, if you sell the ep you are going to wanna upgrade to something more expensive.( New SI or whatever) Then you got payments like you said, might as well do a swap. Swap would be cheap but have to pay all at once. It will have lower miles and that extra kick I got no swap but its my distance plan. Gl on whatever you end up doing.

i'd say swap. cheaper then 3 year car payment. i mean how much can you get for your ep3? like 5k?

I would say swap or just replace what needs to be replaced. Not to sound like a PITA but 120k we all know thats nothing for a Honda. I have almost a 160K and am still on my stock clutch and doesnt slip yet. That and the timing chain tensioner is the only thing I want to change otherwise she runs like a champ.

Overall the best option is what you feel most comfortable with and by the pic you ep still looks pretty clean.

If u have the cash, swap and have fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Distance View Post
    i'd say swap. cheaper then 3 year car payment. i mean how much can you get for your ep3? like 5k?
    Yeah. Probably around 5k given the miles.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorJones View Post
    I say swap, if you sell the ep you are going to wanna upgrade to something more expensive.( New SI or whatever) Then you got payments like you said, might as well do a swap. Swap would be cheap but have to pay all at once. It will have lower miles and that extra kick I got no swap but its my distance plan. Gl on whatever you end up doing.
    Thanks dude. I don't really wanna have payments but I do like the idea of having a newer ride with newer paint, interior, features etc... that being said it's not very practical at this point for me as I already have something that gets me from A to B, and don't need that big of an upgrade. Swap at least I could use what money I have and have the rest paid off within a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by 02_epdriver View Post
    I would say swap or just replace what needs to be replaced. Not to sound like a PITA but 120k we all know thats nothing for a Honda. I have almost a 160K and am still on my stock clutch and doesnt slip yet. That and the timing chain tensioner is the only thing I want to change otherwise she runs like a champ.

Overall the best option is what you feel most comfortable with and by the pic you ep still looks pretty clean.
    Definitely not a PITA -- these are probably my two options as after reading the comments here and weighing on it myself it's probably not worth getting a new ride at this point. I just have trouble dropping a grand or more and not having anything really improved power-wise. 160 on stock clutch! that's awesome man

Thanks! That's another thing, I can't really find anything that I really, really like that is in my price range, you know? I still like the looks of my EP a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Hajdoki_Ep3 View Post
    If u have the cash, swap and have fun...
    It would definitely be fun rolling around with an a2 or z1.

As a side note, since my tranny is still in great shape, is it worth swapping motors only and keeping my tranny?
    Last edited by johnkimble; 05-13-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Although the ep3 is a nice civic, you really wouldn't get shit for it, most likely 6k-7kish i bet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information