Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Clunking" noise

Ok, so I had a clunking noise before that I figured was the motor mount. (Each one had a tear in the rubber.) I didnt want to spend the money to replace them, so I bought inserts, thinking that would fix the problem. Well, now that they are in, my car is still making a clunking noise. Do ya'll think it's still the motor mounts, or maybe something else? The sound mainly comes when I am in 2nd gear, accelerating in a turn at low speeds. It also does it when I am in 1st, moving slowly like into a parking space or something. (In reverse as well.) I figuerd it was torquing the motor when I accelerate.

Check ur rack and pinion there is threads that show u how to add more grease that started in my car I just added some grease noise stopped just a thought!!!

This may sound bad, but where the heck do I look? lol

In order to fix it, you need to determine exactly where it's coming from. And that my friend, is the hardest part.

I've had a stuck brake caliper that made that sound, or exhaust hanger that's bent. If something is banging, look for shiny metal.

If you found a problem and only "patched" it in order to try to fix yet the same noise and symptoms are there, i would bet money its the same issue you started out with. Get new mounts and put the inserts in those. Or sell the inserts and buy good aftermarket mounts.

-Rob

Check your suspension. I had that problem my Top hats were death
    Last edited by EUB44; 04-26-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Im thinking its not the steering rack. It makes the noise when I turn, but ONLY when Im accelerating in the turn. When they put the inserts in, they didnt notice anything wrong with the metal part of the mounts. Im just REALLY hoping Im not going to have to replace the mounts. I cant afford that.
    Can cracks in the rubber cause the clunking?

Cracks can't but sometimes what looks like cracks is actually a tear. If you had an actual tear then inserts wont fix it. I would check all rubber parts in the front end area... motor mounts, lower control arm bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, suspension bolts, top hats and last but not least your axles. Easiest way to check the axles is by getting your car up in the air. Grab one end of the axle then the other, twist them against each other. If they move even the slightest bit they are most likely bad. They shouldn't have any play in them at all. I had a bad axle like that and it make a weird clunking sound every time i put initial load through the drive train.

-Rob

I damn sure hope there isnt anything wrong with the suspension. I recently had the axles, ball joints, and tie rods replaced. I think Im gonna try to get new motor mounts, and see if thats it. Luckily I have another car I can drive, so this one can sit until it gets fixed. Im gonna sell some exhaust stuff that I WAS going to install. Hell, I need my car running RIGHT before I can mod it any....

i had a clunking noise before that sounds somewhat similar, the ONLY problem i had was a slightly loose nut on the front right of my suspension. check to see if it's that. try to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from, have a friend outside the car and just try to trouble shoot. you want to get it pinpointed before having to purchase things that may not help at all

I have a clunk sound also coming from my passenger front. Only happens when I make turns that have bumps on the road. But head on bumps has no abnormal sound. When car is up in the air, if you place your hands on the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and wiggle there's something loose. Had my tie rod replaced, ball joint, control arm and axle. Took it to the shop and dude told me it was the strut that was causing it to move, but how is that?? Check upper bolts and strut bolts. All tight! Any ideas anybody?

Does the mount on the driver side ever go bad? It's gonna be hard as hell to pin point this because it's not consistent.

Not as often as the front and back ones... have you checked to see if all 4 sub-frame bolts are tight??? Sway bar links??

-Rob

its not a motor mount.. its a lower control arm bushing...

I'll have to test this out. Ive got some spare lcas and energy suspension bushings. I'll post back once I swap em out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information