Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steering wheel kill switch.

Hey guys,

This was just a thought.

Would it be possible, since i have an after market steering hub, quick release and wheel, to make it so the wheel has to be attached in order to start the car? Kinda like a fuel cut off switch, but built in so that i have to attach the wheel to actually start the car.

Any ideas?

Am i just an idiot for thinking of this??

This seems to be a good idea especially for those scared of having the car jacked... Especially for us SoCal peeps that are always hearing about cars getting jacked

MANNY KID 15

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    It's definitely possible since switches come in all shapes and sizes, but unless there's something on the car already that detects the presence of your aftermarket wheel (I doubt it), you'd be installing it yourself.

I'd imagine it as a pressure switch that pokes out and gets held down by the wheel, but then of course any thief could just hold down the switch while starting the car. And if they're going to take your car without your steering wheel, it means they have their own wheel for your hub and therefore their wheel will take care of the switch as well, right?
    Last edited by Draw7Seven; 05-31-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

Almost like an RC car and remote how you have to have the same channel set on each one. Maybe as a way to recognize the steering wheel.

Possibly also like a jet ski. You wrap the kill switch around your wrist so if you fall off it pops out. When you pull the wheel off, it comes out and won't start. Wheel on, plug it in. I like that way better. Seems simpler

I'm thinking of possibly routing the ignition wire to the hub. Cut the wire so one half is on one side and the other half on the opposite side [Hub]---> (+ -). Have some sort of connection on the backside of the steering wheel (+ -) that would complete the circuit when the wheel is installed therefore allowing you to start the car. The only way a thief would be able to steal it is if they brought a piece of wire and completed the circuit on the hub before starting it. I dunno....just a quick idea

i bet you can incorporate a switch that is placed behind the steering wheel, fixed to the hub. Kinda like our transponders that are incorporated within our key fobs (03+) One of my first mustangs had this type switch in which you had to "touch" the fob to a secret area hidden behind the dash in order to turn the car over. I didn't install this device but it gave me major peace of mind about my car when unattended. I am certain a similar device can be installed within the steering wheel and wouldn't be too difficult to install

Whoaaa!!!!

Thanks for the great suggestions!!

The pressure plate idea seems like a good way, but like you said, just bring your own wheel lol.

The RC channel thing is also a good idea. Wonder how that would work.

My buddy had a fob he had to touch under te dash to start the car, very troublesome for him.

I'm not good with wiring, so I'm not sure if hooking up the ignition wire to the hub is a good idea.

Only other thing i can think of, is using the OEM chip in the key. Put the chip inside the wheel (between the quick release and wheel), and bam, should work? So I wouldent need the chip in the key. Then I could wire up an S2000 start button...hmmmm wheels are turning.

Keep the suggestions coming!!

Sent from my awful auto correcting iPhone using Tapatalk

This would be great if someone came up with something. No more worrying about people bringing kpro to steal your car...it wouldnt matter

Actually, with the key chip idea, they can disable it in kpro... Just remembered that.

Sent from my awful auto correcting iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the ignition rewire. Especially since the removable hubs ate already set up to close a horn circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by AttarixEp View Post
    I like the ignition rewire. Especially since the removable hubs ate already set up to close a horn circuit.
    Agreed. Seems like the most simple and effective method. Not that easy to figure out just by looking at it. Don't tell anyone, and chances of your car being stolen are pretty low!

If I had an aftermarket hub and wheel I'd try it but I dont :(

If you're that worried about your car being stolen buy lojack...

Quote Originally Posted by AttarixEp View Post
    yeah, just don't know how to go abouts doing so. I have my horn working, so it's not like i can use that.

Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If you're that worried about your car being stolen buy lojack...
    Lol true dat best 800 investment ever
    Last edited by Bificus; 03-25-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information